disclaimer and caveat

RaulPN

Portuguese
disclaimer and caveat <-----Topic added to post by moderator (Florentia52)----->

What's the difference between these two words?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Barque

Tamil
    I assume you have looked them up in the dictionary. What's it about the definitions that troubles you?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please give us a sentence that uses one of the words, RaulPN, and some context for the sentence. We'll be happy to help you decide whether you've chosen the right one.

RaulPN

Portuguese
    I kind of know what 'caveat' means: a warning, observation, comment.

"Disclaimer", however, despite its literally-juridical meaning, is also used at the beggining of some sentences in a way (at least for me) similar to "caveat", as a sort of warning. I read constantly both words in Quora.com (questions-answers forum).

Sorry for my english.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Your English is fine, RaulPN. We still need to see the sentence in which you would use the word. We don't discuss words or phrases out of context here.

RaulPN

Portuguese
    Your English is fine, RaulPN. We still need to see the sentence in which you would use the word. We don't discuss words or phrases out of context here.
    My bad, Florentia! Sorry. Here's one of the phrases:

"I bet every boy will sneak into this answer, if this question comes up on their quora wall. I haven’t read other answers so **this answer is purely based on personal sense of perception**.

**disclaimer: this answer is not written to hurt sentiments of the readers**"

In this sentence, if instead of 'disclaimer' the word was "caveat", whats the difference?

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
    With 'disclaimer 'you refuse to be held responsible for (legal) consequences.
    That's a long way from caveat. Caveat can raise a (personal) restriction, but not in that strong sense of disclaimer.

Last edited:

RaulPN

Portuguese
    With 'disclaimer 'you refuse to be held responsible for (legal) consequences.
    That's a long way from caveat. Caveat can raise a (personal) restriction, but not in that strong sense of disclaimer.
    But in the example above the legal responsibility is obviously not at stake, after all it's a simple comment in a free forum. The use was figurative. So 'disclaimer' in this sense is similar to 'caveat'? It's 'only' a degree difference? Both mean to warn the reader of a statement?

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
    Personally I don't find the use of disclaimer fit in this sentence. But of course, using disclaimer gives an extra "funny" kick.
    As if somebody could charge you (legally) with something. It goes figuratively from legally to otherwise.
    And also: the way I see caveat is not mainstream, if I have to believe certain definitions, such as the definition of WR
    A disclaimer is not simple negation, which is the way it is used here. Caveat is neither. But it could well be that the use of 'disclaimer' for 'negation' is spreading like an oil slick.

Barque

Tamil
    **disclaimer: this answer is not written to hurt sentiments of the readers**"
    A disclaimer is an upfront statement absolving the person making it from responsibility for something. It refers to the person making the disclaimer.
    A caveat is a warning to do or not to do something.

More crudely:
    Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for this.
    Caveat: Be careful.

Your example uses a disclaimer.

< Previous | Next >