Disclaimer of Authorship

< Previous | Next >

iloveit

Chinese
Hello everyone,
because disclaimer could mean either denial of responsibility or renunciation of one's right or claim, I'd like to know what it exactly means in the phrase "disclaimer of authorship". Is a disclaimer of authorship a disclaimer of responsibility, of rights or of both?

For example, I've read the following sentences in an article:

After artist Cady Noland disclaimed authorship of one of her works under the Visual Artists Rights Act (“VARA”) based on her assertion that the Work had been damaged subsequent to its creation, she demanded that Sotheby’s withdraw it from an upcoming auction...The general rule under VARA is that “the author of a work of visual art . . . shall have the right to prevent the use of his or her name as the author of the work of visual art in the event of a distortion, mutilation, or other modification of the work which would be prejudicial to his or her honor or reputation.”

Or in another case, where a writer of a receipt book or something like that has a disclaimer of authorship in the preface of the book, which says the receipts are from another person but he's made some improvements. I couldn't find the exact text anymore, it's in the wiki page of this book...

How would you rewrite the phrase in both cases? I thought about "deny one's identity as author", but it doesn't fit the first case, and I'm not sure whether it fits the second. Please share with me your thoughts and opinions, thanks very much.

• Truffula

English - USA
    It sounds to me like it's a rejection of both rights and responsibility, but more than either of those, a rejection of any connection with the item in question. The artist no longer wants her name associated with the painting. It's not a complete disclaimer of rights, because it's an assertion of a right not to associate with the work.

< Previous | Next >