Disclosure in Congressional hearings and by senior DoD [Department of Defense] officials.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by hack3rcon, Mar 8, 2017.

1. hack3rcon Senior Member

Russian
    Hello.
    I'm reading Mafiaboy book and I want to know what does "disclosure in Congressional hearings and by senior DoD [Department of Defense] officials" mean? Can it mean "DoD official disclosure Congressional meeting and federal agencies and defense and other countries had Influence"?
    "One of the biggest security stories of 2007 was disclosure in Congressional hearings and by senior DoD [Department of Defense] officials of massive penetration of federal agencies and defense and other nation states".

Thank you.

2. Retired-teacher Senior Member

British English
    DoD officials were reporting to a hearing (committee meeting) of Congress. At that meeting they disclosed (made public) the penetrations referred to. I think the "and" after "hearings" should be omitted.

3. hack3rcon Senior Member

Russian
    Thus DoD not did it?

4. Retired-teacher Senior Member

British English
    I don't think the sentence makes clear whether DoD officials were doing the penetrating or not but I read it as others were doing it. If it had been them, I would have expected the word "admission" to be in there.

I suppose the "and" to which I objected would be correct if other sources were making the same disclosures.

5. hack3rcon Senior Member

Russian
    Aha, Thus, DoD reveal that federal agencies and defense and other nation states sniffing Congressional meeting?

6. hack3rcon Senior Member

Russian
    Am I right?
    "One of the biggest security stories of 2007 was sniffing the Congressional meeting and senior DoD [Department of Defense] officials that showing the penetration of federal agencies and defense and other nation states".

7. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    No.

The biggest story was
    disclosure in Congressional hearings
    and
    disclosure by DoD officials
    that there had been massive penetration
    of federal agencies, and
    of defense, and
    of other nation states.

It does not say who did the penetrating, but the obvious suspects are enemies of America and those other nation states.

8. hack3rcon Senior Member

Russian
    "One of the biggest security stories of 2007 was sniffing the Congressional meeting and senior DoD [Department of Defense] officials by America enemy" ?

9. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    Why do you say "sniffing"? Information about penetration was revealed (disclosed) at Congressional hearings and by DoD officials.

10. hack3rcon Senior Member

Russian
    Excuse me, I can't understand it. someone wanted penetration Congress or Congress want penetration others and this project revealed ?

11. DonnyB

DonnyB Sixties Mod

Coventry, UK
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Sorry, no.

The full sentence, from the book, is this:
    "One of the biggest security stories of 2007 was disclosure in Congressional hearings and by senior DoD [Department of Defense] officials of massive penetration of federal agencies and defense contractors and theft of terabytes of data by the Chinese and other nation states."

So, to loosely paraphrase that, in 2007 US Congress and the officials revealed that the Chinese and other states had hacked into federal agencies and defence contractors, stealing data. :)

12. hack3rcon Senior Member

Russian
    Thank you, But I can't see any "Chinese" in the book text.
    " The US Congressional and DoD revealed that....", OK?

13. DonnyB

DonnyB Sixties Mod

Coventry, UK
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I found that in the online excerpts from the book on Google books, but it's not in the actual copy of the book that I've got. Maybe they edited it out of some versions?
    Yes, you've got it. :)

14. hack3rcon Senior Member

Russian
    Thank you so much ;)