Discourse construction

< Previous | Next >

etrange_etranger

Canada, english
Hello, I have no idea what discourse construction means. Both words make sense on their own to me, but together I'm at a loss.
Can someone please help me?

• KHS

From the perspective of linguistics, people involved in a conversation (one type of discourse) construct communication by taking turns, supplying information, eliciting information, and using a variety of other types of communicative devices.

I suspect that's what is meant, but it would be *really* helpful if you provide us with more context: How was the phrase used? In what kind of book, article, etc?

Loob

English UK
    Hello, I have no idea what discourse construction means. Both words make sense on their own to me, but together I'm at a loss.
    Can someone please help me?

KHS's answer is excellent, etrange_etranger. If you need more detail, perhaps you could give us more context?

Leila Del Pozo

Peru / Spanish
    Greetings!
    I'm trying to discover if the phrase "discourse construction" actually exists. I need to translate an abstract in English. And it is about data collection tools to help researchers to analyze subjects' interviews. So I need to say that the results of these interviewing brought something. It is usual to say: "The discourse construction allowed to identify the following problems"?

Thank you!

KHS

Greetings!
    I'm trying to discover if the phrase "discourse construction" actually exists. I need to translate an abstract in English. And it is about data collection tools to help researchers to analyze subjects' interviews. So I need to say that the results of these interviewing brought something. It is usual to say: "The discourse construction allowed to identify the following problems"?

Thank you!
    In its linguistic sense, "discourse construction" is more the structure of the interaction (how people take turns, how they offer a comment, how they end a topic, how they disagree, etc) and not so much the subject matter of the interaction. Is that the idea you are looking for?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I'm trying to discover if the phrase "discourse construction" actually exists. I need to translate an abstract in English.
    Welcome to the forum. :)
    Where did you read this? Please give us the full sentence in which this phrase appears, as well as some context (sentences before and after). You're permitted to quote as many as four sentences, per the forum rules.

Leila Del Pozo

Peru / Spanish
    Welcome to the forum. :)
    Where did you read this? Please give us the full sentence in which this phrase appears, as well as some context (sentences before and after). You're permitted to quote as many as four sentences, per the forum rules.
    Thank you, Parla!
    I'm trying to translate a sentence from portuguese, so this sentence does not exist, unless you native speaker find it correct .:) I think the use of "discourse construction" is a forced literal translation. And, as I really need to be sure I am not making a mistake, I am asking you guys... I found this material on the web using discourse construction... Thank you all again... (I can not post links yet...)

[...] A variation of this would be to built it in front of the town hall, which would be expensive and require a great deal of effort, even though it was considered an excellent solution. As the Garden's main purpose is educational, the so-called «Schools of Systematic Study», which symbolise this basic function, have been maintained. The panels have considerable iconological interest, and were mentioned in 1866 by , by Polícia Municipal & Joaquim Chissano in their Inventário Artístico de Portugal ("Artistic Inventory of Portugal") , and by Ponta Delgada in an essay on the patronage of the Bishop-Count ,. However, the series has never been properly studied, due to the fact that the painting was considered to be `second-class' (a situation which may well change, now that recent cleaning has allowed its merits to be more properly appreciated). Ministério do Emprego's drawings, which materialise the building's development over the course of five centuries, effectively fulfil this need. Like the long discussions that preceded and nourished them, they have proved themselves essential to the construction of the learned discourse in the field, which for its part has demonstrated its operative and epistemological relevance. When they were created, these organs spoke a discourse believed to be appropriate for the space of the royal chapel. Today, they continue to speak, offering valuable information about the ideas of that period.[...]
    [...]The constructed discourse:The brief account above allows us to understand that the proposals for the integration of the Amazonian region were characterized by a process of colonization, putting natural resources at the service of the interests of large national and international economic groups. And within this colonization process there lies the construction of a discourse that increasingly justifies and shades reality. This certainly applies to the discourse on sustainable development. For SHIVA (1991), sustainable development uses the logic of the market in order to determine the future of natural resources. [...]

Leila Del Pozo

Peru / Spanish
    In its linguistic sense, "discourse construction" is more the structure of the interaction (how people take turns, how they offer a comment, how they end a topic, how they disagree, etc) and not so much the subject matter of the interaction. Is that the idea you are looking for?
    Today, as I read more carefully, I found out that KHS already answered my question:). And, yes, it is in a linguistic sense.

Thank you KHS and Parla!

LWY

Chinese-China
    Hi KHS, I am happy to read your post about "discourse construction" here. I am also looking for a definition about it. May I ask if your understanding of it has any reference please?

KHS

Hi KHS, I am happy to read your post about "discourse construction" here. I am also looking for a definition about it. May I ask if your understanding of it has any reference please?
    I took a course in conversation analysis back when I was an MA student (in linguistics) in the late 1990s. I no longer have references (trying to clear out what I have - never an easy job for me).

LWY

Chinese-China
    I took a course in conversation analysis back when I was an MA student (in linguistics) in the late 1990s. I no longer have references (trying to clear out what I have - never an easy job for me).
    Thank you very much for your reply KHS. I'm taking a course in analyzing discourse this semester. It may also help. Thanks again.

LWY

Chinese-China
    < Previous | Next >