Discourse

< Previous | Next >

oskhen

Norwegian
Greetings

What exactly is the meaning of the "discourse" I've coloured in the following (no further context needed, I think; I don't even know if this big a quote is needed):

"Here, he distinguishes between for main epochs of discourses about religion: an Enlightenment discourse, a Romantic discourse, a secularization discourse, and a postmodern discourse. [He] dismisses discourse theoretical and postcolonial critiques, questioning their empirical data and the coherence of their arguments."

It suddenly seems like "discourse" is used as an adverb, but is that possible?

Thanks

• Loob

English UK
    What exactly is the meaning of the "discourse" I've coloured in the following (no further context needed, I think; I don't even know if this big a quote is needed):

"Here, he distinguishes between for main epochs of discourses about religion: an Enlightenment discourse, a Romantic discourse, a secularization discourse, and a postmodern discourse. [He] dismisses discourse theoretical and postcolonial critiques, questioning their empirical data and the coherence of their arguments."

It suddenly seems like "discourse" is used as an adverb, but is that possible?
    Well, I don't think the red "discourse" is an adverb. It looks to me as if "discourse-theoretical" (easier to see with a hyphen;)) is the adjective from "discourse theory". So there would be two kinds of critiques at issue here: one related to discourse theory, and one postcolonial.

Not that that takes us much further, as I have only the vaguest idea of what discourse theory might mean. But perhaps you know, oskhen?:)

oskhen

Norwegian
    Well, I don't think the red "discourse" is an adverb. It looks to me as if "discourse-theoretical" (easier to see with a hyphen;)) is the adjective from "discourse theory". So there would be two kinds of critiques at issue here: one related to discourse theory, and one postcolonial.

Not that that takes us much further, as I have only the vaguest idea of what discourse theory might mean. But perhaps you know, oskhen?:)
    Actually, I think that might just make sense! I even think I understand! Thank you very much!

< Previous | Next >