discover / discern [for 'find'?]

windisfalling

Chinese
Hello,
My original sentence is: Typically, the path of X's human capital growth is found abnormally divergent over the period of 1985-2016 because of, to certain extent, its within-province inequality between the northern and southern area

Since I have already used "found" many times, I want to express with another word. Can I say "the path of X's human capital growth is discovered abnormally divergent" or "the path of X's human capital growth is discerned abnormally divergent"?

Thanks in advance.

• Dictatortot

English - American South
    Better, I think, to reword the sentence to avoid needing the synonym at all. I suggest: "Typically, X's human-capital growth diverged abnormally from 1985-2016 because of, to a certain extent, intra-province inequality between the northern and southern areas."

windisfalling

Chinese
    Better, I think, to reword the sentence to avoid needing the synonym at all. I suggest: "Typically, X's human-capital growth diverged abnormally from 1985-2016 because of, to a certain extent, intra-province inequality between the northern and southern areas."
    Thanks a lot. I think that is better. But I am still quite curious about whether the usage of other verbs like 'discover' is the same as found here, since probably later I still need to write such sentences. By the way, could you tell me why here you use "areas" instead of "area"? I am always confused about it.

The Newt

English - US
    The phrase "its within-province inequality between the northern and southern area(s)" is very hard to understand out of context, but I would precede it with "due, in part, to" rather than the cumbersome 'because of, to [a] certain extent."

Dictatortot

English - American South
    I'm not fond of the passive voice in sentences like these, much less in sentences that one can easily reword without it ... but I suppose one could say "discovered to be" ... or, better yet, "found to be." "Discern" has imprecise, qualitative overtones that are less appropriate to a context that refers to hard data.

windisfalling

Chinese
    The phrase "its within-province inequality between the northern and southern area(s)" is very hard to understand out of context, but I would precede it with "due, in part, to" rather than the cumbersome 'because of, to [a] certain extent."
    Thank you. I revised my sentence.

windisfalling

Chinese
    I'm not fond of the passive voice in sentences like these, much less in sentences that one can easily reword without it ... but I suppose one could say "discovered to be" ... or, better yet, "found to be." "Discern" has imprecise, qualitative overtones that are less appropriate to a context that refers to hard data.
    Thank you. Nice to learn the nuance between discern and another two words. I understand "to be" is optional when we say, for example, the factor is found trivial / the factor is found to be trivial. But I am unsure if the rule applies to other verbs like discover?

Dictatortot

English - American South
    Thank you. Nice to learn the nuance between discern and another two words. I understand "to be" is optional when we say, for example, the factor is found trivial / the factor is found to be trivial. But I am unsure if the rule applies to other verbs like discover?
    It doesn't, for the most part. I would err on the side of avoiding such predicate adjectives, because it's difficult to predict when they're idiomatic.

windisfalling

Chinese
    It doesn't, for the most part. I would err on the side of avoiding such predicate adjectives, because it's difficult to predict when they're idiomatic.
    Thank you. In scientific writing, especially the papers I read, passive voice is very common, so I get used to writing sentences in that way.