"discursive and curatorial"

Krispin

Czech republic, Czech
Hello,

I am just translating a text about postwar art and I came across the following passage (the paragraph dealt with the Independent group):
And its signal achievements – its ambitious series of lectures and extraordinary
run of exhibitions, the latter abetted by innovative designers in the group like the Brutalist architects Alison Smithson (1928-93) and Peter Smithson (1923-2003) – were discursive and curatorial.

I have no idea
what the "discursive and curatorial" may signify in the context. I will be more than grateful for any suggestions!
Thank you

• grubble

British English
    I would say in this context that discursive means "wide-ranging". A dictionary may give a better definition.

A curator of an art gallery or museum takes care of the exhibits. I think the implication is that the lecture and exhibitions reminded the public of the value of these works of art and thus encouraged their preservation.

MilkyBarKid

British English
    This may be difficult to translate without your 'editorial' assistance.

Let's look at the meaning:

The Independent Group promoted a series of lectures, bringing American mass culture (such as movies, science fiction, billboards, car design, popular music) into the realm of high culture, and deemed this worthy of discussion and debate.

Hence, one "signal achievement" was "its ambitious series of lectures".
    So - in this context, 'discursive' refers to promoting discourse (a formal discussion of a topic) on 'wide-ranging' (grubble) topics.

and

organizing an "extraordinary run of exhibitions" - that is, "curatorial' : that is, acting as a curator in a museum, who, as one of his functions, chooses and arranges the display of art works for an exhibition.

Krispin

Czech republic, Czech
    Thank you Grubble and MilkyBarKid,
    I looked at all dictionaries at the university library but none of the definitions seemed to fit. So thank you for your suggestions, they are certainly helpful.;)

< Previous | Next >