Discuss (the) possibilities of a potential cooperation.

tomtombp

Hungarian
Our company is looking for new dealers. I would like to say in an invitation email:

"We look forward to meeting you to discuss (the) possibilities of a potential cooperation."

I don't know what's wrong with the "discuss (the) possibilities of a potential cooperation" part. There are only a few Google hits and even they are written by German companies.

Would you please help me change it to something that is more commonly used.

dreamlike

Polish
What do you want to say? Do you want to discuss whether or not it would be possible for your companies to cooperate with each other or do you want to discuss the possibilities that your potential cooperation entails (or creates, better still)?

In the former case, I'd insist on the singular form, in the latter case, on the plural form. I'd keep the definite article in both cases, rightly or not. I'd also say 'of potential cooperation', not 'of a potential cooperation', as the noun 'cooperation' is uncountable.

Last edited:

tomtombp

Hungarian
Thanks, ok. I googled "discuss the possibility of potential cooperation." 4 hits, all Chinese. Not much better without discuss. There must be something wrong with it :confused: I would think it's a common phrase and expected many google hits.

dreamlike

Polish
'Discuss the possibility of potential cooperation between our companies'. (I'd add the last three words) seems fine to me. I can't find any flaw in it. Let's wait for native speakers, though.

sound shift

English - England
"Possibility" and "potential" convey the same idea - so we only need one of these words. I suggest "We look forward to meeting you to discuss/explore the possibility of cooperation between our companies."

Last edited:

tomtombp

Hungarian
"Possibility" and "potential" convey the same idea - so we only need one of thse words.
You're making a good point here, sound shift:thumbsup:

Most interestingly your suggestion "discuss/explore the possibility of cooperation" also mainly gets hits from different non-native speaking or governmental and foreign policy websites, mainly talking about cooperation between states and big organizations. Maybe the phrase is not used in smaller business environments? If that is the case, I wonder which word keeps it from using it in that context.

sound shift

English - England
Most interestingly your suggestion "discuss/explore the possibility of cooperation" also mainly gets hits from different non-native speaking or governmental and foreign policy websites, mainly talking about cooperation between states and big organizations. Maybe the phrase is not used in smaller business environments?
I see no reason to suspect that. I don't think you should draw any conclusions from the wording found on websites, not least because companies have no reason to put this kind of approach in the public domain, online. And, of course, I'm not non-native speaking.

tomtombp

Hungarian
I see no reason to suspect that. I don't think you should draw any conclusions from the wording found on websites, not least because companies have no reason to put this kind of approach in the public domain, online. And, of course, I'm not non-native speaking.
Thank you. I was thinking of this too but wanted to be confirmed. It's something to be used in emails rather than putting it on the web. The Google hits were mainly from news portals, etc. And the last thing I intended was to question your opinion. Thanks again for your help.