discuss the usage of "Revert" (respond, reply, get back)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by tievoli, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tievoli Senior Member

P.R.China
    Hi, I would like to get your comments on the usage of "Revert", for example, quoted as below in blue. Your kind replies will be highly appreciated!

Dear Sirs,

Ref the ToR sent by our David on 19 Sept 2008 on the above subject, I would like to enquire if there is any chance I can pay a visit to you either next Monday or Tuesday.

Please revert on your availability.

2. meowser

meowser Senior Member

Hawaii
    Flemish and English (midwest U.S.)
    In this sense, I think it means "to go back to", or "to refer to".

Revert is often used to go back to a state of being. "She reverted to her old ways", for example.

The sentence in blue seems a little strange, though. Are they trying to say that they want you to change your previously stated availability?

3. la grive solitaire

la grive solitaire Senior Member

United States, English
    Perhaps they mean: Please get back to us about your availability ?

4. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    I think Grive is right. I have heard they use revert this way in India.

5. JJohnson

JJohnson Senior Member

Southwest Texas
    Texan English
    So in this context it would be like "reply".

Please reply with your availability.

6. encraver New Member

China
    Mandarin
    I also see it is used this way a lot. But is it correct?

7. meowser

meowser Senior Member

Hawaii
    In the U.S., I don't think you'd ever hear it this way. But perhaps other English-speaking areas.

8. tievoli Senior Member

P.R.China
    Yes, this usage is often appeared in the areas like Singapore and Malaysia, maybe the south-east countries, but I am not sure if it is a correct usage, can it be used in this way?

9. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Native language: English (BrE)
    Hello everyone,

To avoid 'reinventing the wheel', you might want to take a look at this previous thread *(even if it does ramble a bit ;)).

* Actually it rambles quite a lot, so these are the relevant posts: 1, 2, 5, 7, 10, 11, 19-21, 24-32, 34-37 (or just read it all anyway :rolleyes:).

From that thread (and from this present one), it seems to be a predominantly Indian English usage. Actually I have seen it used occasionally in UK and elsewhere in Europe, but only in recent years — possibly coincident with the huge upsurge in hotlines and call-centres based in India?

W:)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  10. meowser

meowser Senior Member

Hawaii
    Ooh, good point! ...and that's where we start getting into the evolution of language, where discussing "standard English" can get awfully muddy.

11. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It saves a great deal of time and unnecessary effort for others if you look for the answer before posting a question.

This thread is now closed.

Rules/FAQ
    ☛☛Forum Rule #1
    Look for the answer first.
    Check the WordReference dictionaries if available (and scroll down for a list of related threads) or use the forum's search function.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.