....discussed the idea that things that are pleasurable/pleasing.....

ritter66

Czech
Hi all.

This comes from an FCE book.

Recently, at a three-day meeting in Venice, a group of doctors, psychologists, and chemists discussed the idea that things that are pleasurable (pleasing) have a positive effect on our health and wellbeing.

- Why isn´t it possible to use "pleasing"? Would it change the context?

Thank you.

• owlman5

English-US
    I don't think there's any real difference in meaning, but "pleasurable" is a particular adjective that covers the meaning.

I imagine that your book wants you to use specific adjectives rather than participles used as adjectives, which is what "pleasing" is.

Last edited:

ritter66

Czech
    Thank you owlman5:thumbsup:

So it would not sound unnatural to you if I said (in this context) pleasing instead of pleasurable? It is just a matter of choice I guess. And yes, you are right. Those FCE/CAE books don´t like using "ing" forms in these kind of exercises.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I think there is a difference, even though they overlap. Pleasurable is used more for bodily sensations. Sex, eating, and warmth are pleasurable. Doing well on a test, getting a promotion, finding $100 in the street are pleasing.

I don't know what happened at the three-day meeting in Venice, but if it was attended by doctors, psychologists, and chemists, to me pleasurable is a much better fit.

< Previous | Next >