discussions of the contemplated

windyvalley

Chinese
Hi,

Can you please help me understand what the discussions here mean?
I do not think it is the normal meaning of talking about something between two parties, but I did not find other explanation through looking up my dictionary.

"Neither party will disclose any Confidential Information of the other party to third parties except those who are required to have the information in order to carry out the discussions of the contemplated business."

Thanks in advance!

Windy:)

• Meeracat

If your question is simply about the 'discussions' part of this legal statement then I suggest you take the word at face value. There are, it would appear, discussions taking place about a new business, which does not yet exist except as an idea or suggestion, hence the word "contemplated".

windyvalley

Chinese
    Hi Meeracat,

In this case, so the meaning is still normal, something that the parties talked about? right ?

Oh, that is interesting............I did not think so.

Thanks

Meeracat

Not so much 'talked' about. It is not a description of the past but a statement about the present and the future. It is a condition that is being applied to the two parties who are in negotiation about the business.

windyvalley

Chinese
    Hi Meeracat,

Thanks for your further explanations!

Is it possible that you can help find a synonym of "discussion"?

Thanks!

Meeracat

There are synonyms in this context such as: talks, negotiations, deliberations, dialogue, but I don't think any of them are an improvement on the word 'discussions'. It appears to be part of a legal agreement where, as you know, choice of words is often crucial.

< Previous | Next >