discussions of the patient’s interest in suicide present opportunities for the physician to improve

ida2

Persian - Iran
Hello,

I think the sentences in the bold part below are inconsistent. Can you please explain the bold part?

Some physicians who prescribe a lethal dose of medications might claim that they did not know that the patient planned to commit suicide. Most important, discussions of the patient’s interest in suicide present opportunities for the physician to improve palliative care, so that the patient feels that suicide is the best option.

Source: Resolving Ethical Dilemmas: A Guide for Clinicians by Bernard Lo

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    Can you expand on what you think is odd?

I do agree that there might be something amiss. I would expect perhaps something like "so that the patient no longer feels that..."

ida2

Persian - Iran
    Can you expand on what you think is odd?

I do agree that there might be something amiss. I would expect perhaps something like "so that the patient no longer feels that..."
    I think so. I exactly think that this part is odd.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I was able to access the relevant page here. There doesn't seem to be any misprint:

Resolving Ethical Dilemmas

In this passage, the writer is talking about physician-assisted suicide (which is legal in some parts of the world).

I think the idea is that palliative care should be given so that, if the patient does makes the decision to ask for a fatal dose of medication, that decision is not based purely on the unbearable pain the patient is experiencing. The patient is given the chance to make a rational and considered choice whether to end their life (assisted by the doctor).

ida2

Persian - Iran
    I was able to access the relevant page here. There doesn't seem to be any misprint:

Resolving Ethical Dilemmas

In this passage, the writer is talking about physician-assisted suicide (which is legal in some parts of the world).

I think the idea is that palliative care should be given so that, if the patient does makes the decision to ask for a fatal dose of medication, that decision is not based purely on the unbearable pain the patient is experiencing. The patient is given the chance to make a rational and considered choice whether to end their life (assisted by the doctor).
    Thank you and thank the others. Even if the context is correct, the meaning sounds vague.

< Previous | Next >