discutere la tesi

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by cartaplus, Sep 3, 2006.

  1. cartaplus

    cartaplus Senior Member

    Come si dice " discutere davanti ad una commissione una tesi universitaria'?
    Grazie in anticipo
  2. Brian P

    Brian P Senior Member

    To defend ones thesis.
  3. Parergon Senior Member

    Italiano, Italia
    mmm... if I'm right:
    (to) defend and thesis refer to the doctoral (PhD / dottorato) final test.
    Dissertation is how they call the 'tesi di laurea'. I don't know the equivalent for 'discussione', since the formula is a bit different.
  4. TimLA

    TimLA Senior Member

    Los Angeles
    English - US
    I'm going to go with Brian on this one.
    In AE, one "prepares or writes a thesis" while you are taking your many courses and doing your research during your PhD years. At the end, you are placed in front of a group of professors who ask hundreds of questions over a many hour period - this is called "defending your thesis" or "thesis defence".

    If you can describe what you mean a bit more, perhaps we might help.
  5. Parergon Senior Member

    Italiano, Italia
    Tim, I agree as well. In Italia we call 'tesi' either the dissertation (undergraduate/master) and the thesis (doctorate).

    Would you say 'defence' even for your B.A./B.S. dissertation?
  6. TrentinaNE

    TrentinaNE Senior Member

    English (American)
    Ciao, Parergon. In the U.S., dissertation tends to be used in reference to doctoral (PhD) programs, while thesis is more prevalent for bachelor's and master's programs. (That's my general experience, anyway -- there was a thread about these terms in the English Only forum within the past year that you might want to search for, if you are interested in other viewpoints. :))

    I don't have much direct experience with how theses are administered at the bachelor's/master's level, but I don't think they usually involve a defense of the type TimLA has described for PhD dissertations. However, if such a procedure were involved, I think it could be called a thesis defense, regardless of the degree to be obtained.

  7. TimLA

    TimLA Senior Member

    Los Angeles
    English - US
    No, there is rarely, if ever, a formal "thesis" required for BA/BS.
    A formal thesis is only required for MA/MS/PhD.

    So if you're referring to BA/BS, and there is no panel of professors, then I might stay with "Thesis Discussion" - but I'm not sure if it would be generally understood.
  8. Parergon Senior Member

    Italiano, Italia
    That's quite interesting! I didn't know that.

    In UK (please correct me if I'm wrong) dissertation is a writing on a particular subject at bachelor/master's level. Thesis, in British universities, is the name of the doctoral writing.

    ** Cambridge Dictionary offers the following general definition:
    noun [C] plural theses
    1 a long piece of writing on a particular subject, especially one that is done for a higher college or university degree:
    a doctoral thesis (= for a PhD)

    ** When my Laurea certificate (undergraduate level) was translated into English; tesi was translated into dissertation.
  9. *Giulia* Senior Member

    Italiano / Italia
    Ma la Laurea italiana quinquennale è master's level, giusto? E la triennale è però meno di bachelor's level?
    Io sto per andare a studiare negli USA, qui in Italia sarebbe il mio quinto anno e laggiù dovrò seguire soprattutto corsi graduate. Scusate l'off topic ma la cosa mi interessa, dal momento che anche io sto traducendo un sacco di cose legate all'argomento.
    (If needed I can translate this post into English)
  10. lsp

    lsp Senior Member

    US, English
    tiny typo
  11. Parergon Senior Member

    Italiano, Italia
    in primis, i sistemi dottorali in Uk e Us sono leggermente diversi.
    Pertanto le comparazioni vengono fatte in maniera diversa.

    In linea di massima queste sono le equipollenze:
    Laurea quadriennale/quinquennale = MSc/MA
    Laurea triennale = BA/BSc (non è un po' meno del Bachelor, è esattamente equivalente).

    Se ti servono altre info, puoi scrivermi in privato, ho APPENA terminato lo stesso genere di trasferimento di titoli. ;)
  12. TimLA

    TimLA Senior Member

    Los Angeles
    English - US
    As Giulia said, this is interesting. Maybe I'll go over the way it's done here.

    AA degree - 2 years at a "community college" after high school - no thesis
    BS/BA/AB degree - 4 years at college or university - some require a limited thesis, but most do not.
    MA/MS degree - usually 2 years after obtaining BA/BS/AB - all graduate-level courses, almost all require a thesis.
    PhD degree - usually 4 years after obtaining BA/BS/AB or two years after MA/MS - all graduate-level courses, all require a thesis, usually a formal, in-depth research project and a thesis defense.

    Thesis and Dissertation are used interchangeably.
  13. Parergon Senior Member

    Italiano, Italia
    I agree Tim. :thumbsup:
    I have got a curiosity: is always the Bachelor a 4-year in US?
    In UK the Bachelor may last 3 / 4 years.

    In E.U. (according to the European Law):
    Bachelor = Laurea (Laurea Nuovo Ordinamento), Diplomi di Laurea triennali (Vecchio Ordinamento)
    Master = Laurea Magistrale (o Specialistica), Laurea Ciclo Unico (= Vecchio Ordinamento)
  14. TimLA

    TimLA Senior Member

    Los Angeles
    English - US
    Very good question.
    Classically, the bachelor degree is 4 years.

    BUT, it can be less or more depending on the person.

    Some high-school students receive college credit for taking special courses during high school (in high school I took calculus at a local junior college, and didn't have to take it at the university). Also, some students work harder and take summer classes and thus graduate earlier.

    On the other hand :))), there are those who fail classes and take longer to graduate. Then there are others who just like to stay in college and it may take them 6 years - we call them "professional students".
  15. TrentinaNE

    TrentinaNE Senior Member

    English (American)
    Ah, here's the EO discussion I referred to above: thesis, Ph-D, dissertation. Usage seems to vary regionally.

    Back to cartaplus's original question: is what she describes
    the term that Italians use for thesis/dissertation defense, as that is understood in American and British universities? Or does it apply to a different event/process?

    Grazie mille,

Share This Page