dish - hot dog

• Myridon

English - US
    It depends.
    A hot dog can be a type of sausage in which case it is an ingredient. A package of raw hot dogs in the refrigerator is not a dish.
    A hot dog can also be one of those sausages on a bun with some condiments and/or vegetables (mustard, onions, pickles) in which case it is technically a dish. However, I doubt that anyone would casually refer to it that way.

ewie

English English
    I agree with Myridon: it might technically be a dish, but I can't imagine anyone ever calling it that. It's 'a thing you eat'. (Who ever had a hotdog on a plate?)

I agree with ewie and se16. In theory, anything you eat could be a 'dish.' In practice, it's those things that are served in dishes, on plates, in bowls.

As Myr points out, too. The phrase 'hot dog' has two senses, either the sausage or the whole combo; but neither is really a 'dish'. The latter [in usage] is similar to a ham sandwich. If you are served one, you probably do NOT say, "What a tasty dish!"

Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    "Dish" can also mean a course in a meal with multiple courses:

The first dish served was Oysters Rockefeller. This was followed by a dish featuring couscous and quail eggs. The next dish was a kosher hot dog served in sauce Perigourdine with truffles, and that was followed by the main course of roasted free-range yak with apple butter and rutabagas.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    From what I've read here, yes, :tick:, a "hot dog" can be considered a dish, in the appropriate context.

Moreover, it serves as a real fine dish, when you ain't got much in the cupboards, and nuttin' in the fridge.

Brought to you by the "Eat More Hot Dogs" campaign.

I kid/jest, but only in part. There are fine/hip eating establishments (some upscale) in US cities that serve hot dogs / brats as a "dish", er, main course.

It's all in the eye of the eater.

< Previous | Next >