disillusioned?

cuzican

AMERICA/ENGLISH
I have searched the dictionary and even poetry just to find out what it means if someone says they are disillusioned without you.

I dont know if this is a compliment or insult. the meanings i have found are very vague.

can someone help me with this meaning?

• panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    cuzican said:
    [...] disillusioned without you. I dont know if this is a compliment or insult.
    Hi cuzican, welcome to WR forums:)

"Disillusioned without you," does not make sense to me.
    Someone "disillusioned with you" would feel that something that you have done has really surprised them and disappointed them - has made them realise that they were mistaken, and should not have thought so highly of you.

That would not be a compliment, neither would it be an insult. It would be a sad, regretful, personal statement.

Disillusioned without you? I haven't a clue what that might mean:confused:

phlegyas

Philippines: Kapampangan, Filipino, English
    cuzican said:
    I have searched the dictionary and even poetry just to find out what it means if someone says they are disillusioned without you.

I dont know if this is a compliment or insult. the meanings i have found are very vague.

can someone help me with this meaning?
    Hi.

"Disillusioned without you" may very well be a line from a poem as this phrase would not make any rational sense (ignore the redundancy) when use in ordinary conversations.

It may mean that the speaker (of the phrase) is disillusioned whenever the one he/she speaks to (speakee?:D ) is not around. To paraphrase, "I do not feel good whenever you are not around." If taken this way, I guess it has a positive meaning. (Unless the speaker is a stalker or is Hannibal Lecter.:D )

lsp

NY
    US, English
    Here's a stretch. If you provide me with strength and help me navigate the difficulties of life, or if I am prone to sadness or depression and your companionship adds some balance, and then you go away, maybe in your absence I am disillusioned.

I said it was a stretch :D

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Disillusionment does tend to arise in reaction to some specific discovery, and with is the preposition that adheres most naturally to the verb. The participle/adjectival form is causing the problem.

"His experiences left him disillusioned." He is in a state of anomie, and a lot better adjective than disillusioned ought to be found, but none of them are common enough currency, I guess. The other option, breaking disillusioned down into even smaller change, gives a worse possibility-- stressed. Or the even worse "all stressed" I hear all to often. All stressed without you.

I think "distressed without you"-- whoa, I automatically wrote something that makes a little sense. Let me back up. "Disillusioned without you" seems to mean, when you're with me it all seems all right, life has meaning, goals are worth setting and striving toward, and the whole ball of wax. With you out of my life, all that changes.

I don't think it's anything you did that disillusioned me, it's just that disillusionment is a state of mind or mood that arises spontaneously, when I don't have you around to protect me from it.

A lot of overexcited emotional neediness there, and a tendency to burden the other person with high expectations-- if I knew this disillusionable person I might make myself scarce too.

cuzican

AMERICA/ENGLISH
    well, when i was talking with this person he said he was disillusioned without me.
    he didnt add anything after that other than to say he regrets being without me.
    i dont know if you can talk about personal matters on this forum or not. but when he said that it confused me very much.

he is very well educated and i am not.

he stated he wishes he had never left me.

so i appreciate the comments because it has been eating at me for several hours.

cuzican

AMERICA/ENGLISH
    well, I thank especially the last 3 replies because that is how I thought it was meant. But when in doubt, ask.!

so I did thank you all very very much.

< Previous | Next >