Dislike the weather

parbr2

UK English
Bonjour,

I am wondering which is better in French:

N'aime pas les conditions météo
or N'aime pas le temps

Context: Question is asked: Why did you leave XX city?
Answer:Dislike the weather.

Thanks in advance for any other suggestions or comments

• lwa

French - France
    Q: Pourquoi avez vous quitté XXX?
    R: À cause du temps.

Both of those you said are correct but not of the same register of speech, "N'aime pas le temps" pronounces like "N'ai pas le temps" and can be ambiguous when spoken.

johnblacksox

English - US
    Q: Pourquoi avez vous quitté XXX?
    R: À cause du temps.

Both of those you said are correct but not of the same register of speech, "N'aime pas le temps" pronounces like "N'ai pas le temps" and can be ambiguous when spoken.
    Iwa, that's interesting!

If I were to say "N'aime pas le temps", you would definitely be able to hear the "m" in "aime". Is that because I'm not a native/fluent speaker?

lwa

French - France
    If the query was for a poll, "Je n'ai pas le temps (time)" can be a more frequent answer than "Je n'aime pas le temps (weather)" ;) I wouldn't be sure someone heart the "m" sound, which I would merge with the nearby "p" sound, so I would add things or change the phrasing to lift the ambiguity. It may also depend on the regional accent, I think in south of France the "m" would be more pronounced.

In written register, as the question as in the passé composé, the answer would be "N'ai pas aimé le temps, le climat, la météo..."

johnblacksox

English - US
    If the query was for a poll, "Je n'ai pas le temps (time)" can be a more frequent answer than "Je n'aime pas le temps (weather)" ;) I wouldn't be sure someone heart the "m" sound, which I would merge with the nearby "p" sound, so I would add things or change the phrasing to lift the ambiguity. It may also depend on the regional accent, I think in south of France the "m" would be more pronounced.

In written register, as the question as in the passé composé, the answer would be "N'ai pas aimé le temps, le climat, la météo..."
    Great, thanks for explaining!

parbr2

UK English
    Merci bien - oui effectivement vous avez raison.

Dans mon cas, la réponse est écrite donc la confusion ne sera pas vraiment aussi marquée que pour une réponse en vive voix...

< Previous | Next >