dismantling of an award-winning school district

Vanloon

Hindi
The Problem We All Live With - Part One - This American Life

Beth Cirami
Being from Jennings, I've watched the dismantling of an award-winning school district. I went to Catholic school because I had to. Not because I wanted to, but because I had to. So I know the routine.

context: It is about a desegregation in schools. And Beth Cirami is a parent who didn't welcome black kids.
Q: I have no idea what does red phrase mean here. Could you paraphrase like telling to your kids. Thanks in advance!

• kentix

English - U.S.
    She is saying she believes the changes inposed on the district by the legal rulings have caused a serious decrease in the quality of the school system.

I don't know the details of the specific situation, but the word "dismantling" is likely figurative. The district itself is probably still in existence.

Last edited:

Vanloon

Hindi
    She is saying she believes the changes inposed on the district by the legal rulings have caused a serious decrease in the quality of the school system.

I don't know the details of the specific situation, but the word "dismantling" is likely figurative. The district itself is probably still in existence.
    Thanks a lot. Do you have any idea who Jennings is? Thanks in advance!

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    Jennings must be a place, either a town or a district of a city. I would look in the original article and see if there is context

kentix

English - U.S.
    Jennings is definitely a place. "Being from Jennings" indicates that.

I looked up the school district. A couple of years ago they were in danger of losing their state accreditation due to the extremely poor performance of the district and its students.

< Previous | Next >