Disordered fashion

129Xenon

Italiano - Italia
Hi,

I am still writing scientific reports in English without it being my mother tongue, so questions are always plentiful. I try to limit myself to the ones that sound interesting.
Now I am describing some particles explored by a gas:

"Locally, they [particles] are composed by graphitic layers interconnected in disordered fashion and forming roughly cylindrical channels of about 8 Å (almost twice as wide as the gas atoms, 4.4 Å). Microporous aggregates of graphitic layers are then arranged in mesopores, whence the gas can exchange further with the macropores or the interparticle space."

The main question is whether "in disordered fashion" is an acceptable expression. I keep finding it in scientific papers, but most are written by non natives anyways.

<-----Additional question removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Please don't worry about mesopores: all softwares indicate the word as non-existent, but it is in the IUPAC gold book.IUPAC Gold Book - mesopore in catalysis

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    "In disordered fashion" sounds okay to this non-scientist.
    The word "graphitic" exists, and even the phrase "graphitic layers"; but the Ngram Viewer tells me "graphite layers" is more frequent.
    Is there a technical difference in meaning?

Packard

USA, English
    Would "amorphous" work? I think it is usually used in reference to a solid, but while it is clear to me that a gas is used to explore the particles, are the particles considered a "solid"?

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryglossary/a/amorphousdef.htm

Amorphous Definition: term used to describe a solid which does not exhibit crystalline structure. While there may be local ordering of the atoms or molecules in an amorphous solid, no long-term ordering is present.

129Xenon

Italiano - Italia
    Thanks for all the answers.

Amorphous in this context usually refers to a material that is disordered at the molecular level but not necessarily porous. For example, quartz is crystalline, window glass is amorphous, but neither is porous. Here, the single layer is ordered, since it is mostly composed by graphite, but their arrangement is not.

Ii seems that both "in disordered fashion" and "in a disordered fashion" can be used, then.

< Previous | Next >