displace attention

< Previous | Next >

Urigome

Japan-Japanese
Hi, everyone

This question is really vague, but I hope someone helps me out :)

I looked up the word ‘displace’ on the Cambridge English dictionary website, and one of the example sentences said, “However, he displaces attention from the readers of books to their producers.”

Unfortunately, I couldn’t get any of its context, and therefore I can’t comprehend what it exactly means
I’d like to ask native English speakers how you would interpret this sentence without any context

Do you think attention implies ‘his’ (the subject) attention or general attention from the outer world??

If there should be no specific answer without any context, what would this sentence sound like to your native ear?

• The Newt

English - US
    He shifts attention away from the readers of books and shifts it to the producers of books. It says nothing about "the outer world."

Urigome

Japan-Japanese
    Thank you for the reply :)
    So it means “his attention” to be exact?
    Like, in the sentence “I paid attention to sth”, ‘attention’ indicates ‘my attention’
    Is that the same logic?

The Newt

English - US
    Thank you for the reply :)
    So it means “his attention” to be exact?
    Like, in the sentence “I paid attention to sth”, ‘attention’ indicates ‘my attention’
    Is that the same logic?
    It doesn't actually say "his attention." It could be his attention, but the implication may also be that he is re-directing other people's attention. Or it may be both.

Urigome

Japan-Japanese
    I see
    It could be his, others’ or both
    That’s interesting
    Now I understand how equivocal this sentence is
    Thank you, it’s really helpful

< Previous | Next >