displace the debt

< Previous | Next >

humvee

Cantonese and Mandarin
Hi folks

A third driver of modernization is a vendor dropping support for an ancient version of the product. And while there can often be financial motivations to displace aging, expensive legacy tech debt, this is typically not enough to make it through an investment committee.

What the heck does "displace" mean in here? Thanks in advance.

• Myridon

English - US
    "Tech debt" is a IT term.
    Technical debt - Wikipedia
    Technical debt (also known as design debtor code debt) is a concept in software development that reflects the implied cost of additional rework caused by choosing an easy (limited) solution now instead of using a better approach that would take longer.
    Continuing to use old, outdated software is a common example of "an easy solution". To upgrade to newer versions or better software would require work.

humvee

Cantonese and Mandarin
    "Tech debt" is a IT term.
    Technical debt - Wikipedia

Continuing to use old, outdated software is a common example of "an easy solution". To upgrade to newer versions or better software would require work.
    Hi Myridon. This is new to me. I took the compound meaning by granted. But my problem remains as to the meaing of the verb displace. To displace a debt, no matter what type, sounds like a weird collocation to me.

< Previous | Next >