disruptive/transgressive/deviant behaviors

< Previous | Next >

roberta_italy

italian
I am a psychology researcher I use these terms as synonym...
are they? or there are some differences for example in relations of the type of behavior, or the severity of behavior, or the context in which they are act?

• Embonpoint

English--American
    Can you give us some sentences?

To me, behavior that is disruptive harms others. Someone who has a tic, like Coop in Nurse Jackie, that causes him to touch people inappropriately socially, would definitely be disruptive.

Behavior that is deviant is out of the range of normal, and may or may not harm others. For example, touching yourself constantly the moment you are alone may be deviant but it is not disruptive.

Transgressive crosses a line of social acceptability. To me, that would be someone, for example, who chooses to defy social conventions--perhaps a man dressing as a woman. This may or may not be disruptive.

It differs for me from deviant in that (in my subjective reading) you are making a value judgement with deviant. You are saying it's out of the normal range and that's a bad thing and needs to be fixed. Transgressive strikes me as more neutral language; this person is acting in a socially unacceptable way but your use of the word (at least the way I hear the nuance) suggests that you're not taking a firm position on whether society is right to think that way.

So for example:
    Someone who throws things all over a room and creates a scene: Disruptive
    Someone who masturbates incessantly in a way that isn't healthy for himself, and possibly but not necessarily harmful to others: Deviant.
    A flamboyant cross-dresser who pushes the limits of society in a way that may or may not be unhealthy or disruptive: Transgressive

roberta_italy

italian
    thank you...
    the context in which i am using these words is the organizations/companies..
    so i am referring to any behavior that violate organizational and social norms.....

here some examples
    taking excessive breaks, working on a personal matter instead of working for the employer, stolen supplies from the organization; acting aggression toward fellow co-workers, such as verbal insults, spreading false rumors about or making fun of others, playing mean pranks, making racial slurs and withholding crucial information from others. not follow the protocol, so for example in the heath care system when caregivers know what is the best for patients but do not act accordingly

i am right now writing a paper on that.... i am not sure about the title to give to it!
    nurse transgressive at work...
    nurse deviant behaviors at work.......
    nurse desruptive behaviors at work

the first one (trangressive) is my preferite... transgressive seems to me more related to the idea of "violation of norms"
    is that correct?

Embonpoint

English--American
    thank you...
    the context in which i am using these words is the organizations/companies..
    so i am referring to any behavior that violate organizational and social norms.....

here some examples
    taking excessive breaks, working on a personal matter instead of working for the employer, stolen supplies from the organization; acting aggression toward fellow co-workers, such as verbal insults, spreading false rumors about or making fun of others, playing mean pranks, making racial slurs and withholding crucial information from others. not follow the protocol, so for example in the heath care system when caregivers know what is the best for patients but do not act accordingly

i am right now writing a paper on that.... i am not sure about the title to give to it!
    nurse transgressive at work...
    nurse deviant behaviors at work.......
    nurse desruptive behaviors at work

the first one (trangressive) is my preferite... transgressive seems to me more related to the idea of "violation of norms"
    is that correct?

I'm not sure what you mean by nurse. But most of the behaviors you mention fit the word disruptive better. They may be transgressive as well, but that's not the main point. These people are being disruptive to the smooth functioning of the work place.

Giorgio Spizzi

Italian
    Hullo, Embonpoint.

Can we infer from your answer that a certain behaviour is (Past Participle?) BY someone?

I may be wrong, of course, but I'd feel more comfortable with " Nurses' Disruptive Behaviour".

GS

Embonpoint

English--American
    Hullo, Embonpoint.

Can we infer fromnyour answer that a certain behaviour is (Past Participle?) BY someone?

I may be wrong, of course, but I'd feel more comfortable with " Nurses' Disruptive Behaviour".

GS
    Well, let me put this objectively. Nurse Disruptive Behavior is very problematic because nurse is also a verb which means to encourage. So a native speaker might read it at first and thing you want to encourage disruptive behavior.

Nurses' Disruptive Behavior is grammatically correct and clear.

However, as a matter of personal preference, I prefer Disruptive Behavior By Nurses. And yes, this is fine. It means behavior (engaged in) by nurses.

The main reason I prefer the by formulation is that it puts disruptive behavior first, which makes it read better. Also, Giorgio's formulation using the possessive makes it mean disruptive behavior belonging to the nurses. This is okay, as certainly we discuss a child's bad behavior all the time. But it's a bit odd in the plural and also in a headline.

That's just my opinion. Giorgio's suggestion is correct English and an option if you prefer.

< Previous | Next >