dissertation and thesis

< Previous | Next >

Jessienuan

Chinese-Mandarin
Hello,

What is the difference between dissertation and thesis? Should I use dissertation at phd level and thesis at master's level? If I want to use one of them for both phd and master's degrees in my academic cv, which word should I choose?

Thank you

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    In my experience, a thesis can be at any university level (bachelor's, master's, or doctorate) but a dissertation is only for a doctorate. If you want to use one word for both, it should be "thesis." In that case, you should specify "master's thesis" or "doctoral thesis." If you use "dissertation," you do not have to give the level of your degree.

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    This is likely going to have regional variations. I would only use dissertation for PhD but thesis could be at any level.

To avoid any confusion I would put the level in any reference to your work.

Jessienuan

Chinese-Mandarin
    In my experience, a thesis can be at any university level (bachelor's, master's, or doctorate) but a dissertation is only for a doctorate. If you want to use one word for both, it should be "thesis." In that case, you should specify "master's thesis" or "doctoral thesis." If you use "dissertation," you do not have to give the level of your degree.
    This is likely going to have regional variations. I would only use dissertation for PhD but thesis could be at any level.

To avoid any confusion I would put the level in any reference to your work.
    Thank you very much for your replies, guys!

< Previous | Next >