dissolve into a sea of mud

Masis

Bulgarian
These were seasons of '' roadlessness '' when the country could dissolve into a sea of mud and the rivers could be choked with dangerous ice - floes as the thaw set in.

Hello. Please help me with this word here. Maybe it means sink or dissappear? Thanks a lot.

• Masis

Bulgarian
    Thanks a lot. This is about Russia. This period is so called rasputiza or '' roadlessness ''. Author explains the conditions in which armies conducted their military campaigns. Maybe you are right. I am a chemist. It is a very strange use of this word here. I thought that the earth is fade out under the mud. But obviously I was not right in mine opinion. It indeed turn into a mud and slush.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I think "dissolve" is used in a figurative manner: the landscape "melts" as the features are softened or buried under a more or less uniform blanket of mud. The features are, well, muddled almost as if the countryside is deliquescing.

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    Thanks a lot. This is about Russia. This period is so called rasputiza or '' roadlessness ''. Author explains the conditions in which armies conducted their military campaigns. Maybe you are right. I am a chemist. It is a very strange use of this word here. I thought that the earth is fade out under the mud. But obviously I was not right in mine opinion. It indeed turn into a mud and slush.
    As usual in nonscientific writing, words with strict scientific definitions are used in all sorts of other ways. The dictionary.com definitions of 'dissolve' include things like 'melt' and 'disintegrate' along with the scientific definition. I do not believe the scientific interpretation is at all relevant here.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dissolve

Masis

Bulgarian
    Thanks. So this is something like that melt or dissolved in sense of the chemistry process. The idea is now clear for me. That is the importment for me.

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    Thanks. So this is something like that melt or dissolved in sense of the chemistry process. The idea is now clear for me. That is the importment for me.
    I think the figurative meaning of 'dissolve' that the author was using is much closer to the scientific meaning of 'melt' (and not the scientific meaning of 'dissolve'). If you look at the dictionary.com entry, you will see some examples.

< Previous | Next >