Distant acquaintance.

< Previous | Next >

olcay28

Turkish
"I doubt even the most skilled actor with the most sophisticated makeup could pass for an imbecile's distant acquaintance."
What exactly does this sentence mean? Thank you.

• olcay28

Turkish
    The whole conversation is as the following:

"Adopting your appearance would not be enough. He'd have to mimic your gait, your vocal inflection, your very scent.
    I doubt even the most skilled actor with the most sophisticated makeup could pass for an imbecile's distant acquaintance."

Thanks.

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    I googled those words and it seems to be from the TV series Elementary based on the Sherlock Holmes stories.

This is a bit of a guess but I think he means that it would be very difficult for even a skilled actor to give the impression to people that he was an imbecile's distant acquaintance (by just his actions, without actually saying so). You can't let people know who your acquaintances are by just your behaviour.

I haven't looked enough of the transcript to understand the context in which those words are said.

Last edited:

olcay28

Turkish
    Dear barque,
    what does Sherlock suppose to mean by saying "imbecile's distant acquaintance" in those words?

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    I'm afraid I don't know enough of the storyline to answer that.

Perhaps he was just using it as an example to say that there are some impressions that even a skilled actor wouldn't be able to convey.

Myridon

English - US
    Your identical twin could pass for you (people may think he is you). Your fraternal twin of the same gender might be able to pass for you. Your brothers/sisters less so. And so on and so on. The speaker carries the idea to an absurd exaggeration.
    The actor trying to portray the imbecile would be so far off in his performance that the actor couldn't pass for the imbecile's twin, brother, family member, friend, friend of a friend, acquaintance, distant acquaintance.

< Previous | Next >