Distinguish friendship from love

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

Last time when I was chatting with a friend online, she asked me whether I would choose to keep in touch with my ex-girlfriend if we broke up, then I said:

I know how to distinguish friendship from love.

I wonder “distinguish friendship from love” makes sense here?

Thanks

• Lambency

English- Canadian
    If I'm interpreting it correctly, you are saying you would love her as a friend if even you two broke up.

However, I think it's rather ambiguous as a reply. It doesn't directly answer the question your friend asked. From your answer, I can't tell if you would keep in contact with your ex-girlfriend or not.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Dear Two,

Let me be more clear, I feel sorry for the ambiguity.

And let us get back to the situation, now I have a new girlfriend, but she hopes that I can no longer keep in touch with my ex-girlfriend. Because in China, most of us believe that once you break up with your girlfriend, you guys are no longer friends.

So in my first thread the one who asked me the question (let us call her A) wanted to know that whether I could treat female friends and girlfriend differently.

Then I gave the answer:

I know how to distinguish friendship from love, if I choose to keep the friendship with my former girlfriend, it only means we are friends.

If there is still unclear, tell me. Thanks a lot.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    I know how to distinguish friendship from love, if I choose to keep the friendship with my former girlfriend, it only means we are friends.
    Well, I understand what you mean, but I would express it a bit differently in English.

For instance:

"I know the difference between friendship and love. If I stay in touch with my former girlfriend, it will only be as friends."

By the way, good luck with that. Girls are not usually that understanding...:)

owlman5

English-US
    Thanks for your understanding, but I know it is Chinglish. I will forget it and use Angel's recommendation. Thanks a lot.
    I don't think it sounds like Chinglish, Silver. It just sounds formal and precise. If your listener likes those qualities in language, then it would be fine. Angel Eyes gave you a good, colloquial version.

< Previous | Next >