Distinguished guest vs honored guest

< Previous | Next >

sanya2013

Chinese
Hi there,

If I say 'allow me to introduce our distinguished guests or honored guests', is there any difference? Thank you.

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Yes, there is.

If they are distinguished, they have probably performed outstandingly in some way.

If they are honoured, then you hold them in esteem.

It would be quite possible to have some perfectly modest, undistinguished, guests, yet honour them extremely.

I would be surprised to be introduced as a distinguished guest, but I wouldn't want to be a guest where I was not honoured.

Alby84

American English
    Yes, there is.

If they are distinguished, they have probably performed outstandingly in some way.

If they are honoured, then you hold them in esteem.

It would be quite possible to have some perfectly modest, undistinguished, guests, yet honour them extremely.

I would be surprised to be introduced as a distinguished guest, but I wouldn't want to be a guest where I was not honoured.
    I think this sums it up nicely. "Distinguished" itself is rather subjective of course, but I think Thomas gave you a good general description. I agree with the above. :thumbsup:

Biffo

English - England
    I agree. "Distinguished" usually means that the person has received acclaim, perhaps even medals or honorary titles. These are independent of whether we like or even honour then.

"Honoured" means that the speaker (and presumably the audience) deem the guest worthy of esteem. This is independent of whether they have received public recognition in general.

Afterthought
    I think I may just have repeated what Thomas Tompion said but in slightly different words.!

< Previous | Next >