distribute /distribution

Kacy.H

Chinese
Hello, everyone.

Are distribute and distribution good alternatives in this context ?

orignial:
The table shows the proportion of income adults and children spent on 4 common items in the UK in 1998.

Mine:
1.The table displays the percentage of earnings adults and children distributed to 4 common items in the United Kingdom for 1988. (is the preposition "to" correct?)

2.The table displays income distribution of(I don't know which preposition I should use here) adults and children to 4 common items in the United Kingdom for 1988.

Thanks

• Uncle Jack

British English
    Neither work. You cannot change the verb like that. "Spend" has a specific meaning which does not carry across to "distribute", and one common usage of distribute specifically excludes spending, as "spending" is usually understood. You spend money on clothes. You distribute money to charity.

However, if you keep some form of "spend", you can use "distribute:
    The table shows how their spending was distributed between four common items.​

Note that "income" and "earnings" do not have the same meaning either.

Kacy.H

Chinese
    Neither work. You cannot change the verb like that. "Spend" has a specific meaning which does not carry across to "distribute", and one common usage of distribute specifically excludes spending, as "spending" is usually understood. You spend money on clothes. You distribute money to charity.

However, if you keep some form of "spend", you can use "distribute:
    The table shows how their spending was distributed between four common items.​

Note that "income" and "earnings" do not have the same meaning either.
    Jack, can I use "allocate...to..." in this context?
    The table shows the percentage of income adults and children allocated to 4 common items in the UK for 1998.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Jack, can I use "allocate...to..." in this context?
    The table shows the percentage of income adults and children allocated to 4 common items in the UK for 1998.
    Yes, that is fine. It does not actually say they spent the money, but there is a clear link between allocating money and spending it.

Kacy.H

Chinese
    Yes, that is fine. It does not actually say they spent the money, but there is a clear link between allocating money and spending it.
    What did u mean?
    Did you mean "allocating money" doest not mean "spending money", but because they are items, it's kind of "spend"?

Uncle Jack

British English
    When you allocate money, you set it aside for some purpose. Some people do this on a monthly basis, allocating so much for food, for rent, for bills and so on. You might get paid on the first of the month and allocate the money then, but don't need to pay the rent till the twentieth, which is when the money gets spent.

As I said, there is a clear link between allocating and spending, so "allocate" is fine in your sentence. But it does not mean the same thing as "spend".

< Previous | Next >