distribute something

epistolario

Tagalog
Please confirm if the verb distribute can be used in any situation (formal or informal). For example, there are stacks of books in a classroom that need to be distributed to the pupils.

Kindly distribute the books to your classmates.

Does that sound natural in a classroom setting? Or would you use a phrasal verb in that informal situation?

• ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Please confirm if the verb distribute can be used in any situation (formal or informal). For example, there are stacks of books in a classroom that need to be distributed to the pupils.

Kindly distribute the books to your classmates.

Does that sound natural in a classroom setting? Or would you use a phrasal verb in that informal situation?
    Both of your sentences are totally acceptable in a formal/informal situation.
    I only saw one sentence in epistolario's thread opener, reno33. epistolario mentioned "a phrasal verb", but didn't suggest one. Were you thinking of "hand out", epistolario? That would work for me.

epistolario

Tagalog
    Were you thinking of "hand out", epistolario? That would work for me.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Normally, people use phrasal verbs in informal situations. But there are a lot of one-word verbs that are neutral. I believe "distribute" is one of them.

What if some English speakers think that this verb is formal but I've never found any dictionary that labels it as such? I think it's better to avoid using it in that situation.

sdgraham

USA English
    "Distribute" seems perfectly at home in any register to me ... especially with the plethora of online shopping "distribution centers" popping up all over the place.

< Previous | Next >