Distributeur de billets / point argent / guichet automatique bancaire

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Marcewa, Nov 21, 2008.

  1. Marcewa Senior Member

    France / French
    Hi all,

    Could you tell me how to translate "distributeur de billet" in English?
    It seems that there are so many possibilities!

    What is commonly used?


    Moderator note: multiple threads merged to create this one.
    See also
    ATM (automated teller machine) / ABM / cash machine
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2009
  2. sebnever

    sebnever Senior Member

    Southampton, England
    French, Lyonnais, France
    a cash machine is the most commonly used one in BE.
  3. boterham Senior Member

    Rijsel, France
    French, France
    And 'an ATM' in North America as far as I know.

    also 'cash dispenser' is quite common (the most generic term i would say).
  4. Playtex Member

    New York City
    ATM is much better for the US. Nobody says "cash dispenser" here; .
  5. sebnever

    sebnever Senior Member

    Southampton, England
    French, Lyonnais, France
    I've also heard cash point (or even 'hole in the wall') but never cash dispenser :)
  6. L'irlandais

    L'irlandais Senior Member

    Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    I agree with that, in Ireland we call them - cashpoints. :warn:There is a tendancy to consider the terms as interchangable, but there exists two very different types of bank machines.

    It should be noted that the DAB distributeur automatique de billets only allows withdrawals of cash.
    Unlike the GAB guichet automatique bancaire which allows the customer to perform many different banking services, which is like ATM = automated teller machine in Americian English.
  7. sebnever

    sebnever Senior Member

    Southampton, England
    French, Lyonnais, France
    :D I never asked myself about the difference betwenn DAB and GAB...I'm happy that an Irish guy can explain me that!
    But in facts in French DAB and GAB are only written abbreviation almost specific to receipts or bank statements...but you'll never heard someone saying "I'm going to the DAB :)"..."Je vais au distributeur" is commonly used in spoken language.
  8. honeybfly Senior Member

    UK, English
    This is the one I would use, although they are all correct.
  9. Figgie New Member

    São Paulo, Brazil
    Portuguese - Brazil

    I can't find this answer in dictionaries or in my French books, so I hope someone can help me with this. Everytime my French text book refers to ATMs in train stations, it calls them "Point Argent", not Distributeur. Why? I assumed that when ATM machines are located into stations, they are called Pont Argent; elsewhere, they are Distributeurs.

    Is this a correct conclusion?

  10. newg

    newg Senior Member

    London, UK
    For my part, I have never heard about "point d'argent" in France.
    It is called "distributeur (de monnaie)" everywhere.
  11. xtrasystole

    xtrasystole Senior Member

    That's right, they are called 'Points Argent' in train stations and airports.

    But generally the thing is called 'distributeur (automatique) de billets', often shortened as 'DAB' (pronounced "dab").

    - 'Excusez-moi... Je cherche un distributeur de billets...'
    - 'Il y a un DAB au coin de la troisième rue à gauche, et un Point Argent dans le hall de la gare'

Share This Page