Disturbare il meno possibile

iSound

Italiano
Hi to everyone :)

Is there another way to say the same thing?

«I'm also able to work with headphones or keep the adequate volumes to disturb the least possible, during the day... but I can't working with headphones only!»

«Durante il giorno, posso anche lavorare in cuffia o mantenere dei volumi adeguati per disturbare il meno possibile... ma non posso lavorare solo in cuffia!»

Thanks in advance :)

• AlabamaBoy

American English
    ...or keep the speaker volume low enough to disturb the fewest people/the lowest number of people.

I would not say "least people" because people are countable, and you should use "fewest" when the quantity is countable.

iSound

Italiano
    Thanks AlabamaBoy :)
    I like your "... keep the speaker volume low enough" but I can't decide to disturb a person rather than the lowest number of people... and my care is about a "generic disturb": the level of sound that I use for working for many hours per day.

I agree with you: I would not say "least people" but not "fewest people" either, I think.
    «[...] to disturb people the least possible.» (if the meaning is the same that we have in Italian :confused:)

iSound

Italiano
    to create the least disturbance (then you don't have to mention people! :))
    Yes, I absolutely agree with you :)
    So, this is the result: «I'm also able to work with headphones or keep the speaker volume low enough to create the least disturbance during the day... but I can't working with headphones only!»

Many thanks! :)

egog

italiano
    ...or keep the speaker volume low enough to disturb the fewest people/the lowest number of people.

I would not say "least people" because people are countable, and you should use "fewest" when the quantity is countable.
    Sorry,i think that iSound used "least" because he referred(or pointed) this to the word "disturb" wich is an abstract thing,he didn't refer to people.Well,It is possible to say "....to disturb the less possible"?
    Thank you....

iSound

Italiano
    Sorry,i think that iSound used "least" because she referred (or pointed) :warning: this to the word "disturb" which is an abstract thing, she didn't refer to people (*).Well, It is(**)possible to say "....to disturb the less possible"?
    Thank you....
    :warning: I'm not an English mother tongue, but I think your sentence is wrong.

(*) ti ringrazio, anche se l'avevo già ampiamente descritto in un post precedente (il #3 se vai a vedere).
    (**) se stai facendo una domanda metti l'ausiliare/verbo davanti al soggetto, anche se personalmente io direi così: «May or Can I say ...?»

Non credo che il nostro "il meno possibile" possa essere tradotto letteralmente.
    I don't think "the less possible" is a right literal translation from Italian language.

...e per tua informazione, for your information, egog, I'm a girl :) ...then, you have to use "she" :warn: thanks!

rrose17

Canada, English
    I don't know if you need to keep the word "possible". Another suggestion could be
    During the day I can (also) work with headphones (on) or keep the volume low enough so as to disturb the least amount of people, but I can't work...
    Slightly more natural could be
    During the day I can (also) work with headphones (on) or keep the volume low enough so as not to disturb anyone too much, but I can't work...

< Previous | Next >