disturbed/being disturbed

NickyT

Ukrainian - Ukraine
Hi! Could you choose the correct one and explain it to me? What is the function of being here?
So there I lay, wide-awake for hours physiologically disturbed/being disturbed, but my symptoms did not get worse.

• owlman5

English-US
    Hi, NickyT. Is this your sentence or somebody else's sentence? If you are quoting something, please give us the source of the quote. Thank you.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I'd say "being disturbed", as it seems to describes your state/condition. Could you tell us in what context you want to write this (if it is your own sentence)?

NickyT

Ukrainian - Ukraine
    Maltese Survivor
    The sentence is from my own test book but I found this story in the Internet. I understood the correct answer is disturbed. But why being disturbed is incorrect.

owlman5

English-US
    "Being disturbed" sounds too active, Nicky. If you add that word, it will probably lead your listener or reader to believe that some other active agent, probably a person, is disturbing you. By itself, "disturbed" doesn't imply that, especially since it was preceded with "physiologically". I'm telling you basically the same thing that ATF told you in post #3.

Thanks for the source.

< Previous | Next >