disturbed us from

< Previous | Next >

perpend

Banned
American English
This is my own sentence: The noise disturbed us from concentrating on studying.

Context: There is construction being done on a building adjacent from where you are studying.

Is "disturbed" correct?

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    In my variety of English, 'disturb' takes a direct object and isn't used with 'from', unlike 'distract'. The sentence is clumsy and there's been a recent thread about this construction (See below). It's quite unnecessary to use 'concentrate' as well. If you are studying you are concentrating.
    ( "adjacent from where" ?)

The noise disturbs our concentration /us as we study.
    The noise disturbs our studying.
    It disturbs the students' concentration.

The noise distracts us from studying
    The noise distracts us from our studies.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I agree with perpend. Not many students are practised in the art of concentrating on what they are studying, and they are easily distracted.

I'd say: The noise distracted us, so we couldn't concentrate (on what we were studying).

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I'd say: The noise distracted us, so we couldn't concentrate (on what we were studying).
    I'm glad a BrE speaker even considers the difference.

Isn't it just a smidgeon away from: (The) Noise distracted/disturbed/bothered us from concentrating on studying.

Wow. What I consider normal is countered in a big way. I need to become more sophisticated. :)

EDIT: That came across wrong. Thanks for thinking about it, velisarius.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The noise distracted us from concentrating on studying - fine, but a bit clumsy.
    The noise disturbed us from concentrating on studying - okay I suppose, but still clumsy with those two gerunds.
    The noise bothered us from....:eek:

< Previous | Next >