Portuguese base ditado

Dictionary entry: ditado

Alan Evangelista

Brazilian Portuguese
In Portuguese (at least in Brazil), "ditado" also refers to a "dictation exercise". As an example, a sentence usually said by a primary school teacher to his/her class: "Nós vamos fazer um ditado hoje" (= "We are going to have a dictation exercise today"). Please add this meaning.

• casaleiro

Dictionary Editor
    English - Ireland
    The word 'dictation' that you see in the dictionary entry denotes exactly this. A dictation can be either the dictated text, or the act of delivering the text aloud for transcription plus the related act of transcribing. In fact, I would personally opine that the primary sense is the act rather than the text.
    What's missing is the further sense in Portuguese: ditado sm (exercício de transcrição). That will have to be added by my error report colleague on the PTBase side before I can add an English translation of it. I'm forwarding this request now.

Last edited:

casaleiro

Dictionary Editor
    English - Ireland
    Dear Portuguese Base, please add the sense "exercício de transcrição" to the entry for ditado (see above).

Emiliana80

Dictionary Editor
    Portuguese - Brazil
    The word 'dictation' that you see in the dictionary entry denotes exactly this. A dictation can be either the dictated text, or the act of delivering the text aloud for transcription plus the related act of transcribing. In fact, I would personally opine that the primary sense is the act rather than the text.
    What's missing is the further sense in Portuguese: ditado sm (exercício de transcrição). That will have to be added by my error report colleague on the PTBase side before I can add an English translation of it. I'm forwarding this request now.
    Thank you for your suggestion. The new sense was added.