"ditch pitched"?

< Previous | Next >

sisedesnonis

Italian-Venetian
Hi guys, a few hours ago I was listening to Fox News, when I heard this: "[...], but Mattis went into the oval office right before he resigned and made one last ditch pitched to the President to not withdraw from Syria."
I'm pretty sure I heard it, and I'm as much sure that I somehow heard it wrong because a quick search turned up nothing.
Judging from the context, I'm just about 100% sure that the "mysterious" words means "dig, swipe, gibe" in the sense of cutting remarks, sharp words.

• sdgraham

USA English
    I think you heard "last-ditch pitch." (there's no such expression as ditch-pitched)

WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2018
    last-ditch (lastditch, läst-), adj.
    1. done finally in desperation to avoid defeat, failure, disaster, etc.:a last-ditch attempt to avert war.
    WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2018
    pitch1 /pɪtʃ/ v.

n.
    Informal Terms Informal.]a sales talk, often one in which the salesperson tries to convince the buyer of the need for his or her product:[countable]He began his sales pitch for the condominium

Last edited:

sisedesnonis

Italian-Venetian
    I think you heard "last-ditch pitch." (there's no such expression as ditch-pitched)

WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2018
    last-ditch (lastditch, läst-), adj.
    1. done finally in desperation to avoid defeat, failure, disaster, etc.:a last-ditch attempt to avert war.
    WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2018
    pitch1 /pɪtʃ/ v.

n.
    Informal Terms Informal.]a sales talk, often one in which the salesperson tries to convince the buyer of the need for his or her product:[countable]He began his sales pitch for the condominium
    Yeah, I already knew "last-ditch" but thought it'd only come with words such as "attempt" or "effort"...
    What would it mean "last-ditch pitch"?

< Previous | Next >