diva

Sylvia_scj

Mandarin
I bought a T-shirt several days ago. There is a word "diva" on it. I know the original meaning of it is "a celebrated female singer or actor", but it seems that there is another meaning with it, something bad I think. Could anyone tell me if it means bad girl or something?
Thank you.

• mjscott

American English
    A diva is someone who expects the drinking water to be exactly below freezing temperature in her dressing room, her favorite sushi delivered fresh, her hair must be perfect, she must be catered to, if anyone is making mistakes it's everyone else--nothing is her fault, and she has a right to be a bitch any time she feels like it. The world revolves around her. It's a T-shirt that states up front that you are the star!

Tongue-in-cheek you are warning people of your specificities with liking things going YOUR way--It can be partially true, or you can take it as a joke!

Sylvia_scj

Mandarin
    A diva is someone who expects the drinking water to be exactly below freezing temperature in her dressing room, her favorite sushi delivered fresh, her hair must be perfect, she must be catered to, if anyone is making mistakes it's everyone else--nothing is her fault, and she has a right to be a bitch any time she feels like it. The world revolves around her. It's a T-shirt that states up front that you are the star!

Tongue-in-cheek you are warning people of your specificities with liking things going YOUR way--It can be partially true, or you can take it as a joke!
    Thank you so much.
    It seems that the word has a negative meaning, but it doesn't matter that much. I can take it as a joke and others will do it too. :)
    Thank you again.

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Yes, you can certainly take it as a joke. My little brother's pet name for me is Diva, because I am pretty much the opposite of that. It can be said affectionately or in a nasty tone. On a tee shirt, I guess it would be what you make of it.

Sylvia_scj

Mandarin
    Yes, you can certainly take it as a joke. My little brother's pet name for me is Diva, because I am pretty much the opposite of that. It can be said affectionately or in a nasty tone. On a tee shirt, I guess it would be what you make of it.
    You are right. I don't care about this word any more because I am also the opposite of it. Thanks. ;)

Sylvia_scj

Mandarin
    1. Note that this subject has been treaded exhaustively rather recently.
    2. "Gonna" is not an English word. People speak that way colloquially, but writers of good English do not use it.
    Thank you sdgraham.
    As to "gonna", I will keep what you said in mind. thanks a lot.

< Previous | Next >