"Dive/Delve into fantasy".

prankstare

Portuguese - Brazil
Just a simple question:

Can I use either "dive" or "delve" to say the same thing in the given sentence? As in, "dive/delve into fantasy world".

Thanks!

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    No; they have very different meanings. Have you looked them up in the WR dictionary? (Just enter each word in the box at the top of the page.)

prankstare

Portuguese - Brazil
    Yes Parla, I know the difference between these two verbs quite well, although my question is more towards informal speaking really.

For example, if using "dive" in this manner would also imply a more psychological rather than physical meaning, obviously because there is no real tangible fantasy world to dive in whatsoever.

Do you know what I mean now? Just wanna know if I can use either.

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    in your context, delve in(to) means "investigate eagerly", dive in means "participate eagerly".

prankstare

Portuguese - Brazil
    in your context, delve in(to) means "investigate eagerly", dive in means "participate eagerly".

Alright, thanks. So, just to clarify this, I know I can't use them interchangeably, but is it grammatically correct or at least sounds natural to say "dive into fantasy world" ?

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Alright, thanks. So, just to clarify this, I know I can't use them interchangeably, but is it grammatically correct or at least sounds natural to say "dive into fantasy world" ?
    Delve/dive into a/the fantasy world. You need an article---the if your hearers know which particular fantasy world you are talking about, a if they don't or if there is a choice of fantasy world available.

Your original dive/delve into fantasy, where fantasy is an abstraction, is good English, but fantasy world needs an article.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    If you dive, Prankstare, you immerse yourself in whatever you're diving into, just as you do when literally diving into water. If you delve, on the other hand, you're looking into something, investigating it.

< Previous | Next >