Dive in

Dmitry87

Russian - The Russian Federation
Hello, dear friends!

I'm trying to find an expression or phrasal verb, that means to do something with a great energy and enthusiasm, especially (but not necessarily) after a brake.

I've found "bury your head into", "dive into" or "launch into" - do they fit the context?

For example:

- After the long holidays he decided to dive into work;

- After the long holidays he decided to launch into work;

- After the long holidays he had his head buried in work.

Last edited:
  • dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Dive in" is good: it fits your meaning, especially after a break.

"Launch into" means "start", and here you want "continue" so it's not a good match.

"Has his head buried in work" or just "is buried in work" is not about him: it says the workload is too much. So it's not a match.

Dmitry87

"Launch into" means "start", and here you want "continue" so it's not a good match.
    Thank you very much, dojibear!

Just to confirm: if we remove that "after the brake" part, - "Launch into" is good in the meaning of starting to do something with a great energy and enthusiasm, right?

kentix

English - U.S.
    Break = pause
    Brake = stop (like a car)

Your sentence sounds better without decided. Diving is something you do, not decide to do, generally. It's a description of someone's actions.

After the long holidays he dived back into work.

Dmitry87

Break = pause
    Brake = stop (like a car)
    Oh, I was such a scatterbrain!

Your sentence sounds better without decided. Diving is something you do, not decide to do, generally. It's a description of someone's actions.
    After the long holidays he dived back into work.
    Yeah, good point! Thank you very much, kentix!

< Previous | Next >