dive into the rigors

RORSCHACH

Farsi-persian
Hi,
what does "dove into the rigors" mean here?

"Megan Rooney was part of my team at the State Department and came back as a speechwriter for the campaign. She dove into the rigors of this book with thoughtful intelligence, wit, and a well-honed skill at storytelling, all of which made this better than I could have done alone."

Source: What Happened by Hillary Clinton

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Dove is the past of dive (in AE only).
    Rigors (BE rigours) means difficulties, strong demands.

Megan Rooney dived /plunged/immersed herself... into the difficulties/hardships/demands... of this book. From the context, I think book means brief/task/role but I'm not sure.

kentix

English - U.S.
    It sounds to me like "the book" is the book you're reading and that Hillary Clinton is acknowledging Megan Rooney for helping her write it.

To borrow from Keith:
    Megan Rooney immersed herself in the task of helping Hillary Clinton write the book. It was a demanding task because of all the research, reading, and fact-gathering that needed to happen to get the details accurate.

Many, many things happen every single day in a high-level political campaign like running for president of the U.S. and somebody had to sort through all the material and decide what to include and then to convey it accurately.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >