diverse vs diversed [diversified]

Beautifully

Korea, Korean
Good morning!

I 've recently seen the word 'diversified' and then I grew confused what would be different between diverse and diversified which seems all identical for me. I am counting on your ultimate answer.

Best wishs!

Futhermore, how can I put the picture into my id?

Last edited:
  • Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    I didn't think 'diversed' was a word. I do see a lot of examples on google though. Perhaps they are typos or puns or from a non-standard dialect of English. It is possible someone might have coined the word 'diversed' as a synonym for 'diversified'.

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    I am sorry for writing typo. I was supposed to say diversified.

Oh! That makes much more sense. :)

The difference between 'diverse' and 'diversified' is that 'diversified' implies more of a conscious effort to create diversity. 'Diversified' is used for things like stock portfolios that have many different types of stocks in them. 'Diverse' is used more in situations where items are naturally of many different types or accidentally of many different types. 'Diverse' is a very general word (it can also be used to describe the results of diversifying intentionally). 'Diversified' is used often as business or economics jargon. Look up the verb 'to diversify' for more information.

Last edited:

liliput

U.K. English
    Diverse is an adjective meaning widely varied.

Diversified is the past tense of the verb "to diversify" and means "made diverse".

Words that end in "--fy" have as their root a Latin word meaning "to make".

Thus, we have the adjective simple, and verb "simplify", which means "to make simple", and the participle (which can be used as an adjective) "simplified", which means "made simple".

In the same way, we have an adjective "diverse", a verb "diversify", which means "to make diverse", and then the participle/adjective "diversified", which means "made diverse".

Beautifully

Korea, Korean
    Yeah! As I understood both simpilfied and simple method would be possibly used being same meaning as being correct.

SaveTheManatees

United States/English
    Yeah! As I understood both simpilfied and simple method would be possibly used being same meaning as being correct.

Well, there is a slight difference in meaning but nothing too profound. "Simplified method" implies that the method you're using is derived from one that was complicated. "Simple method" doesn't indicate either way.

Not a big difference, and both are correct.

Luis-Enrique

english
    So, let's say I have a company that grows 5 different vegetables, will it be correct to say my harvest is diverse but I also have a diversified business or not?

dojibear

AE (US English)
    No, a business that only sells vegetables is not considered a "diversified" business. If you sell vegetables, beer, and running shoes then you are diversified.

In talking about your harvest, you can't use "diverse" in a true/false sense. Your harvest is "not very diverse", if it is all vegetables. But five different vegetable products is "more diverse" than one vegetable product. There are many successful companies that harvest and sell only one vegetable, one fruit or one nut.

Luis-Enrique

english
    No, a business that only sells vegetables is not considered a "diversified" business. If you sell vegetables, beer, and running shoes then you are diversified.

In talking about your harvest, you can't use "diverse" in a true/false sense. Your harvest is "not very diverse", if it is all vegetables. But five different vegetable products is "more diverse" than one vegetable product. There are many successful companies that harvest and sell only one vegetable, one fruit or one nut.
    @dojibear, thank you very much for taking the time to answer the question using my context. It is very clear now. Indeed as you say we were looking to write this in our mission statement, thus the importance of writing it correctly because in fact as you say many farms just grow one vegetable, therefore our "uniqueness" sort of speak is that we grow at least 5 vegetables and two grains, so are harvest is diverse or at least more than 80% of our competitors.