Diversion contrary to United states law is prohibited

james.zeng

Chinese
This is a sentence in the bill of loading (the documents of shipment), the total of this is : these commodities technology or software were exported from the united states in accordance with the export administration regulations. Diversion contrary to United States law is prohibited. I would like to know that what does diversion mean here, does it mean the transhipment or something like this? or this sentence just want to say that anything/something contrary to US law is prohibited.

• Copyright

American English
    It could also mean diverting (shipping) to another country – one that is not on an approved list for this particular technology or software.

Copyright

American English
    I would suggest that it's too difficult to oversee its use and that it means you can't ship it to North Korea. :)

Added: Since legal boilerplate is intended to be fairly all-encompassing, why don't we just decide it applies to both use and re-export. The phrase you're quoting is everywhere on the Internet because it's everywhere in the terms and conditions of shipping documents and company policies. They don't often go on to describe what is meant, but I found this paragraph pretty believable:

Some of the products we distribute are subject to export controls administered by the United States and other countries. Diversion contrary to United States law is prohibited. Export, re-export or import of certain product may require action on your behalf prior to purchase and it is your responsibility to comply with all applicable international, national, state, regional and local laws and regulations, including any applicable import and use restrictions. (Defentek)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >