diving - out of the soccer context

Discussion in 'English Only' started by newname, Oct 18, 2014.

1. newname Senior Member

Vietnamese
    Hello everyone,

We know If a football player dives, his opponent might be punished. I am wondering if I can use 'dive' in a situation like this: You are riding a bike and accidentally run into a person. Even though there are no serious injuries, just bruises and scratches, the person pretends to be seriously hurt and just lies there, moaning and crying, in order that you will have to give him/her lots of money. Or when you unintentionally damage your child's toy, he/she cries and cries so that you have to promise to buy a new one.

Can I say that he/she is diving?

Thank you.

2. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

Ontario, Canada. I grew up in US.
    English (American).
    The person hit by a cyclist could be 'diving' I suppose. It's usually applied to soccer players or boxers (or the like). Not to pedestrians. In other words, a 'dive' is within certain rule, and presupposes that some authority can penalize.

3. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    You are trying to coin a metaphor, Newname.

Such an expression might be used among a group of soccer-mad teenagers, but in normal circumstances your term wouldn't be understood.

"Use standard expressions and metaphors when learning a language" would be my advice.

4. newname Senior Member

Vietnamese
    Oh! I am sorry. What I mean to ask is what is the verb/phrase to use to describe the actions of the person/child. I'm not trying to coin a metaphor.

5. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    We do have a metaphor for that sort of thing - to cry wolf.

I'm not clear that it's appropriate in the case of the crying child, which is a case of blackmail.

6. newname Senior Member

Vietnamese
    Thank you Thomas.

Perhaps there isn't a single verb in English for the actions I described (though in my language there is). Please tell me if it is fine to say as follows:

To the pedestrian: It's my fault, but don't cry wolf. You won't extort any money from me.
    To the child: I'm sorry, but stop crying.
    (child goes on crying): Are you blackmailing me? I won't buy you a new one if you go on like that.

Thank you.

7. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    No, Newname. I'm afraid your answer highlights the problem. This sort of figurative language needs very delicate treatment.

To cry wolf is so say there's a serious problem when there isn't - the danger is that when there is a serious problem you won't be believed. It comes from Aesop's fable The boy who cried wolf.

In the second case, it's the child who is doing the blackmailing - I'll go on crying until you give me what I want. Children don't usually use the word blackmail; it's outside the vocabulary range of most children.

8. newname Senior Member

Vietnamese
    Thank you Thomas.

But still I think there must be a verb/verb phrase to describe the kind of actions I described above. Why? Because I think it's a universal phenomenon that parents or relatives break promises and damage their children's toys. And some parents will not beat the child for crying and would complain to the child's dad/mum ,' Please stop him/her crying for me. I broke his toy and now he/she keeps crying.'

So what is the verb to describe this kind of unreasonable action when something bad,annoying etc but not serious happens to you.

9. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    I'm never sure why parents avoid teaching their children such words. Children who hear a large vocabulary will grow up to have a large vocabulary.

10. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    I would say the cyclist vctim and child are both "faking it" as far as the extent of their injuries is concerned. That is the essense of the practice in soccer where the player fakes the reaction to being tripped so the referee actually thinks they were tripped. (From the dictionary fake = to pretend; simulate; feign:)

11. newname Senior Member

Vietnamese
    Thanks a lot Julian. I think I am getting near the verb I want. So what do you think of these conversations:

Cyclist to victim: Hey, stop faking it. Just some small scratches. Do you think I'm a fool?
    Dad to child: Stop faking it or I won't make up for the broken toy.

Thank you.