division into.... on...

whodouthinkyouare

Spanish
I don't get the meaning of the preposition "on" in this phrase... I would really appreciate your help.

I shall come back to the division of legal an social scientists into a pluralist on non-pluralist camp and show how little useful such division is.

• whodouthinkyouare

Spanish
    Source: Who's afraid of legal pluralism?
    Author FRanz Von Benda Beckmann

More context:

There is insufficient attention to the question of the kind of concept one tries to develop or use, and for what reason, and what one understands as "analytical" concepts. I shall therefore discuss these issues before I review the arguments for and against the state-law linkage. In conclusion, I shall come back to the division of legal an social scientists into a pluralist on non-pluralist camp and show how little useful such division is.

Myridon

English - US
    I suspect this article has been scanned in electronically. "On" is a scanning error for "or" and the first "an" should be "and."
    (Some "errors" that can't be attributed to scanning:
    "In conclusion" usually introduces a conclusion rather than telling us about a conclusion that is going to come later.
    "into pluralist and non-pluralist camps"
    "how little use such division is")

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Franz Von Benda Beckmann is not a native speaker of English. There are a few slips in the quoted passage that may be a result of the author's being non-native, others may be typographical errors. One possible revision might be:

... the division of legal and social scientists into [a] pluralist and non-pluralist camps and show how little [useful] use such division is.

Added: I was very slow, and Myridon posted while I was writing, saying approximately same thing more quickly. :)

< Previous | Next >