Dixon-ish practices

zgiglio

Russian-Russia
Hello guys,

I was reading an article and came across the phrase "Dixon-ish practices". I can't quite understand what is meant by this. It seems to be a cultural realia somehow connected with the police drama The Bill. Could you please help? Following is the context:

There’s no question that our police have some serious stuff on at the moment, what with the terrorist thread and the streets awash with binge drinkers shouting and kicking each other 24 hours a day, and showing no interest in filthy continental habits like sipping slowly and talking about Descartes. It’s a jungle out there and the rozzers have precious little time for helping old ladies across the road, or telling you what o’clock it is, or giving directions, or any of the other Dixonish practices that never seem to feature in episodes of The Bill.

Many thanks.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    The reference is to Dixon of Dock Green, a long-running television serial (1955-1976) about a British policeman. I was only a child when I watched it, but the description of "helping old ladies across the road, or telling you what o’clock it is, or giving directions" is exactly what I remember. It wasn't exactly full of gangland murders or drugs trafficking.

Loob

English UK
    Here's a Wiki article: Dixon of Dock Green - Wikipedia

Dixon of Dock Green was a BBC television series about daily life at a London police station, with the emphasis on petty crime, successfully controlled through common sense and human understanding. The central character was a mature and sympathetic police constable, George Dixon, [...].​
    Dixon was the embodiment of a typical "bobby" who would be familiar with the area and its residents in which he patrolled and often lived there himself. The series contrasted with later programmes such as Z-Cars, which reflected a more aggressive policing culture.​

< Previous | Next >