DLUO - Date limite d'utilisation optimale

Roséa

France, French
Hi,

Could anyone help me?

I'm looking for the translation of Date Limite d'Utiliation Optimale DLUO as can be seen on food packaging...

Thx

• Bordelais

English - British
    Hello / Bonjour ,

How would you translate : "Il reste moins de 50% de DLUO sur les produits suivants"
    I can't even try to translate it...
    Thanks for helping me :)

Less than half of the period before which the items should be consumed remains for the following items.

The French sentence is difficult, because DLUO is by definition a date, and how can you have 50% of a date? If it means anything, I think it means: "The following products are more than half way through their shelf life."

Chat Perché

Français - France
    Bonjour,
    Je reprends ce fil car je souhaite dire que la 'DLUO' d'un produit a été augmentée à douze mois. The Best Before date ... ne me parait pas convenir dans ce cas si ?
    Que pensez-vous de la formulation suivante ? : 'The shelf life for this product has increased to one year'

Kelly B

USA English
    The best by/before date has been extended to one year/has been increased to one year; been isn't essential, but I prefer it.

I think best by is a better choice for US usage, and best before for the UK, but both versions are understood in both places as far as I know. (Whoops, I see that distinction was already discussed earlier in the thread.) Shelf life is ok, but ambiguous - sell by, use by, best by/before all have different definitions.

Chat Perché

Français - France
    The best by/before date has been extended to one year/has been increased to one year; been isn't essential, but I prefer it.

I think best by is a better choice for US usage, and best before for the UK, but both versions are understood in both places as far as I know. (Whoops, I see that distinction was already discussed earlier in the thread.) Shelf life is ok, but ambiguous - sell by, use by, best by/before all have different definitions.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply Kelly :)

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    Bonjour,
    Je reprends ce fil car je souhaite dire que la 'DLUO' d'un produit a été augmentée à douze mois. The Best Before date ... ne me parait pas convenir dans ce cas si ?
    Que pensez-vous de la formulation suivante ? : 'The shelf life for this product has increased to one year'
    Yes, or in a store, the date that the product would no longer be sold is called the pull date (=pull off the shelves). The pull date has been extended to 12 months (the more precise 12 months is often used in this context instead of one year).

Chat Perché

Français - France
    Yes, or in a store, the date that the product would no longer be sold is called the pull date (=pull off the shelves). The pull date has been extended to 12 months (the more precise 12 months is often used in this context instead of one year).
    Thank you Wildan1, pull date is an interesting word to know. On the other hand, I agree, '12 months' is more precise in this case - I had meant to keep it but have obviously not ! :rolleyes:

Kelly B

USA English
    I agree that 12 months is better, but pull by/sell by is date limite de vente or date limite de consommation/DLC rather than DLUO, if I'm not mistaken.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    I agree that 12 months is better, but pull by/sell by is date limite de vente or date limite de consommation/DLC rather than DLUO, if I'm not mistaken.
    You are right, Kelly B, but I don't think a store would sell a product (at least at full price) if the "best by" date had expired. Essentially it is a pull date, but neither date is the same as a "Do not consume after" date--I guess you could call that the "throw-out" date!