do a bit more of a leg or an arm

sleepy24

Japanese
Here's an excerpt from an interview with Phil May of the Pretty Things ('60s UK rock band), in which he recalls how he smuggled one of his bandmates into his art school lessons (in order to make him join the lunchtime sessions):

"We used to sit him down with a drawing board: he couldn’t draw, but every time the guy nipped out of the room we’d do a bit more of a leg or an arm. He was in the school for three months and nobody sussed it."​

I'm not quite sure about "do a bit more of a leg or an arm". I think that it means "draw a bit more of a leg or an arm in his sketch". Is it correct?

Also, I guess "the guy" was his bandmate, but is there any possibility that "the guy" was someone else (for example, a teacher of the lesson)?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

• lingobingo

English - England
    The guy (a member of the band) couldn’t draw, so others in the class would do his drawing for him, bit by bit, when the teacher was out of the room.

Loob

English UK
    Oh - I was assuming that "the guy" in every time the guy nipped out of the room was the teacher.:)

lingobingo

English - England
    Yes, you’re both right. I was looking at the bit where sleepy24 said the guy was his bandmate. (Not my day today!)

< Previous | Next >