Do a chapter

I was talking to my friend about our maths chapter. I ask her:
Have you done the third chapter?
My question is whether the use of done correct in my sentence?
Thank you

• Copyright

American English
    "Done" suggests doing something, such as doing (finishing, completing, attempting) the math problems at the end of a chapter. It wouldn't simply mean "Have you read the third chapter?"

If the other person understands that you're talking about something that needs "doing," then you can use "Have you done the third chapter?"

Copyright

American English
    I understand that. But we need to know what you mean by "do" – do you mean "read" or do you mean to have completed exercises at the end of the chapter (after reading it), or something else?

English nerd

Hindi
    And while talking about "reading a chapter"? I guess "do" means "solving" the math questions and it does not imply "reading". What do you say?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Usually a math book includes text, examples and questions. They are mixed up together. You learn the information from the text and examples, then you test your learning by answering the questions (solving the problems). If the questions (problems) are too hard, you need to go back and re-read text and examples (you need to study) until you understand.

To "do a chapter" implies doing all of those actions. Not just questions (problems), not just reading, not just learning.

Edit: Another kind of book is a novel. All you do is read it. We would not say "do a chapter" about a novel. We would say "read a chapter".

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    If all you are doing is reading chapter 4, we say "I am reading chapter 4." We don't use "do" to mean "read".

But you may be doing something else. Are you studying it? Are you taking notes about it, for a report? Are you analyzing it for a school assignment? There may be other things you can say, in addition to "read".

< Previous | Next >