do a dance

RORSCHACH

Farsi-persian
Hi

I want to know what "dance" means here. I already checked the dictionary and other threads. It seems to me that it means "dealing with each other" or something like that. But I wan to know your idea about that:

“Sometimes Chelsea and I do a dance that I expect is familiar to a lot of new moms and grandmothers out there: I’ll go to put the baby down for a nap or feed the toddler a snack, and Chelsea will swoop in. “Mom, that’s not the way I do that.”

Source: Hillary Rodham Clinton. “What Happened.”

• Copyright

American English
    dance = routine,* as in a stage play or comedy sketch.

WordReference Random House Dictionary: routine: n.5. an often repeated behavior or speech:[countable]that tired old routine of making excuses.

Copyright

American English
    You've change my "noun routine" into an "adjective routine." A routine is an established pattern of moves (in this case) that becomes like a dance.

Copyright

American English
    If you’ll look up “dance routine” on the Internet, you’ll see a series of dance moves that make up a familiar routine, like the foxtrot, cha-cha, waltz, etc. The interaction between these two women is like a dance routine, in that it has familiar steps and interactions.

A dance routine can also be called a dance or a routine.

< Previous | Next >