Do a lot of things,e.g. read a book/ reading a book, etc.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Jadehk, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Jadehk Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    Hi,

Should I use the infinitive without to, or gerund in the following sentence?

1. When I have free time, I will do a lot of things, such as read a book, play sports.
    2. When I have free time, I will do a lot of things, such as reading a book, playing sports.

This was later edited to remove 'will'.

1. When I have free time, I do a lot of things, such as read a book, play sports.
    2. When I have free time, I do a lot of things, such as reading a book, playing sports.

Added by Cagey, moderator

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2018
  2. Bondstreet Senior Member

England
    English (UK)
    Both are OK.

3. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    Which sense of "will" are you using here? Is it to mark a future tense, or is it "habitual action"?

4. Jadehk Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    Hi! Thanks for pointing out!

I should remove ‘ will’ in the sentences.

5. Jadehk Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    Thanks for the reply!

Are there any differences in the meaning of the two sentences ?

6. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    There's nothing wrong with using "will", but I was thinking that the intended meaning might possibly influence my choice of words.

I agree that in your edited version of post #1 both sentences are fine.

7. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    I would add "... such as read a book or play sports." Or "... such as read a book, play sports, etc."

8. Jadehk Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    Thanks!

9. Englishmypassion

Englishmypassion Senior Member

Nainital
    India - Hindi
    I agree both are fine, but I prefer the infinitive version.

10. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
    I'd use I prefer (edited) option 2, with one of the corrections Paul suggested in #7 - either an "or" between the two actions or an "etc." at the end.

I think the "etc." is better because the sentence refers to "a lot of things" while reading and playing sports are only two.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  11. Englishmypassion

Englishmypassion Senior Member

Nainital
    India - Hindi
    I thought that correction was understood but here's my preference: I'd not use "etc" with "such as" and I wouldn't use "or" because there are many such leisure activities the speaker does. So, "When I have free time, I do a lot of things, such as read a book and play sports." But I'd also add a few more activities with "a lot of things."

12. Piyush toplani

Piyush toplani Senior Member

India
    Hindi
    I can't understand how verb (read) after "such as" is correct. It feels odd to me. I think only gerund should be correct. I'm very confused.:confused:
    Please let me know if we can put a verb in simple form after preposition "as" in the sentence "when I have free time, I do a lot of thing, such as play sports, read a book etc."

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  13. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    And yet you have seen it used by native speakers in the posts above.
    That is why you are learning English - in order to understand how it is spoken
    I think you are thinking in Hindi, not in English.

Compare:
    1. When I have free time, I do a lot of things, such as read a book, play sports, etc.
    2. When I have free time, I will be doing a lot of things, such as reading books, playing sports, etc.

Note the parallelism in the verbs.

14. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
    I think you mean that since the sentence refers to the noun "things", the examples also need to be nouns. I prefer that option too. The first does work however, because the examples go with "do". What do you do in your free time? I read a book/I play sports.

15. Piyush toplani

India
    Hindi
    Thank you both..
    Now I understood it:idea:. Thanks again:)

16. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    For what it's worth, the sentence extends upon and defines the pro-verb1 "do" by giving examples of what is meant the verb. This is done in the same form of the verb.
    do -> read, play
    doing -> reading, playing

1 - a verb whose meaning is generalised, and which substitutes for more precise verbs.

17. Piyush toplani

India
    Hindi
    Thanks a lot..:)