do I or isn't it

< Previous | Next >

KYC

Mandarin
Hi, everyone:
The question is also from a test.
I don’t think it is good for you to study late now, ___? You should go to bed earlier and get
up earlier.
(
A)do I (B) is it (C) don’t I (D) isn’t it

I am not sure what the answer is. (A) or (D)?
May I have your replies and clarification?
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
  • Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hello KYC.

Which of these two questions is being raised?

1. Whether he thinks it - I don't think, do I?

2. Whether it's good for the other person to study late - it isn't (the negative comes from I don't think) good for you to study late now, is it?

I think the question being asked is question 2, so I'd put B as the answer to your test question.

stephenlearner

Chinese
    I would choose B. I feel no reason to put "do I" or "don't I" after a sentence like "I don't think ..." and "I think ..."
    I interpret the tag question as politeness or emphasis. It is like "right?"
    For example, he is a French, isn't he? I think it is roughly equal to "he is a French, right?"
    I think he is a French, right? I think he is a French, isn't he? Both sound OK to me.
    I think he is a French, don't I? I feel it really strange. (At least in my language it is strange.)

I may be wrong. Please correct me if I am.

"I think he is French [note: not a French], isn't he?" emphasizes his nationality.

"I think he is French, don't I?" emphasizes the fact that this is my opinion. I agree it sounds a bit strange, but there are circumstances where it could be used.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    I would use "right?" or "agreed?" or "ok?"

But the real problem is that there's too much stuff crowding in around the first sentence. Why is the "now" there? (Study late "tonight," that I could understand.) And the double "I don't think" + question structure is unnatural.

< Previous | Next >