do la sol re terza maggiore

chaowen

Chinese
Hi to all,

I thought this refers to musical terms but can't find Delasolre in the dictionary, and also the proper meaning of terza maggiore which follows. The original text is

(questa aria ch'ho scritta questa notte...)
vedi, è in Dolasolra, terza maggiore, (con li corni.....

thanks to all!!

• arthurlee

Italian - Italy
    Hi to all,

I thought this refers to musical terms :tick: but can't find Delasolre in the dictionary, and also the proper meaning of terza maggiore which follows. The original text is

(questa aria ch'ho scritta questa notte...)
    vedi, è in Dolasolra, terza maggiore, (con li corni.....

thanks to all!!

Not sure about "terza maggiore", but no doubt "dolasolre":cross: is an invented word made up with some musical notes (do, la, sol, re)! :)

Tonza

English - U.S.
    "Terza maggiore" is a "major third" in English, which refers to the interval between two notes. A major third is two whole tones or four semitones.

RealDiva

English, USA
    The phrase comes from Haydn's "La Cantarina." The word Delasolre comes from the definition of musical notes based on the medieval system of Guido D’Arezzo; the solfeggio “re” is named Delasolre. “Terza Maggiore” can mean a major third or, as I believe it is in this case, another name for the key of D. [I found this definition in the October 1998 FoMrHI Quarterly in an article by Gianfranco Miscia and Marco Tiella entitled “Keyboard instrument making of the 19th century in Lanciano (Abruzzo, Italy).]

RealDiva

English, USA
    Here is the entire footnote from the article where I found the reference:
    The information is derived from an autograph of Francesco Masciangelo
    (1823-1906), composer of Lanciano, which presents the definition of musical
    notes as it was in use in this period, based on the medieval system of Guido
    D'Arezzo: "L'Alfabeto musicale consists of seven letters, A.B.C.D.E.F.G.. A is
    named alamire and solfeggiando La; B is named Bemi and solfeggiando Si; C is
    named Cesolfaut and solfeggiando Do; D is named Delasolre and solfeggiando
    Re; E is named Elami and solfeggiando Mi; F is named Faut and solfeggiando
    Fa; G is named Gesolreut and solfeggiando Sol."